Latest interface: 0.3.1
Latest system: 010
stingray
User

12 posts

Posted on 27 July 2014 @ 21:01
hello,

i've had a run at zfsguru before, then i tried freebsd 10.1-001 image, that one wasnt playing nice with my hardware

so after alot of struggling with zfsonlinux and other issues, i had to try zfsguru with freebsd 9.2-001 image just as people with the same mobo (c2550d4i from asrock) haven't had issues with freebsd 9.x and it feels better with zfs on freebsd then zfsonlinux that still has its issues specially with updates..

anyway now i havnt tried to build a freebsd kernel before but i built a few armhf kernels for linux and theres alot of options.. and zfsguru doesnt use a genetric kernel,

"ofed-polling-altq" kernel, is there any way to see what options are needed to compile my own kernel, or do i just need to add ofed, polling and altq atop of a genetric kernel for it to work? i dont want to get a kernel that the system wont boot on.. thats what im worried about right now, i know you more or less want zfsguru easy so everyone can use it, but i really like that its a real freebsd system and not like freenas a usb image that require jails for additional stuff..

now i got 9.2-001 os and 0.2.0-beta9 but want to update to lastest 9.x series..
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 28 July 2014 @ 01:12
You can update to 9.3, which was recently released. Only ZFSguru has no system image for it. But you can manually upgrade to it. In the future, ZFSguru can provide automated builds and you can choose whatever version you want. For now, your options are to either follow the few releases that ZFSguru offers, or upgrade manually. I suggest you do the latter.

Now regarding the kernel; ZFSguru indeed uses a modified kernel. But only in that it has some extra's enabled such as OFED Infiniband, device polling (saves CPU time) and AltQ for firewall traffic shaping. If you do not either any of the three, then you can just use GENERIC kernel.

So what you need is discussed in the FreeBSD handbook, you can just follow the regular FreeBSD upgrade method. In short that means:

1) download sourcecode and extract to /usr/src
2) build kernel toolschain + kernel (GENERIC)
3) build world
4) mergemaster (this one can be a pain)
5) install world
6) install kernel
7) reboot
8) upgrade/rebuild ALL ports. You can also remove all ports and just install them manually from a fresh portstree or using binary packages (using 'pkg' the pkgNG system of FreeBSD, which downloads packages like Ubuntu does, quicker)

The official documentation:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/makeworld.html

Now it is a bit long winded, in reality it is pretty much shorter. I have not read it in full.

Either way you can try it. If something doe not work or you need help, let me know. The one thing i do know that is ZFSguru-specific, sorta, is that after upgrading the 'sudo' port/package you need to copy the configuration file again, because it gets overwritten. Probably you should backup /usr/local/etc/sudoers and restore it after having upgraded 'sudo'.

Good luck! :)
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 28 July 2014 @ 01:12
Oh and just curious, why doesn't C2550 work with 10.1-001?
stingray
User

12 posts

Posted on 28 July 2014 @ 09:11
thanks CiPHER for the info then i can build kernel without worrying..

the C2550/C2750 gives alot of wierd ipmi event log errors, might be some small bug or so, but during 24h uptime theres like 500errors in the log.. during 4days with 9.x there is not one single error, and all the errors in 10.x is false errors, its like dropping vcore, high mobo temp etc and its only for a nano second, but it gives alot of false errors.. also i had a error that unrar from ports, with nzbget gave false crc errors, while same file unrared fine manually, sometimes, but sometimes gave crc errors, same file, on same zfs file system, with zfsonlinux, i could unrar it 50times without a single crc error.. so something was funky with the 10.x image on c2550d4i

i tried yesterday to use freebsd-upgrade and i got to a place where it wants to merge a shitload of files.. but it doesnt show diff between files...

guess it will be abit of messing with updating from 9.2 to 9.3.. guess i will try to do it manually..

ps is there a way to clone a zfs dataset? if i wanna make a duplicate of my 9.2-001 dataset so i can fall back on if i mess things up?
stingray
User

12 posts

Posted on 29 July 2014 @ 22:48
installed 9.3-RELEASE-p0 kernel but it didnt boot.. well it didnt find any zfs pools at all.. so booted old kernel and now building and OFED-POLLING-ALTQ extra all kernel and hoping that zfs will work to boot on that one.. not what i expected from my first freebsd upgrade.. hehehe...
stingray
User

12 posts

Posted on 30 July 2014 @ 07:05

/usr/src/sys/netinet6/mld6.c:3102: undefined reference to `loif'
local_apic.o: In function `apic_setup_io':
/usr/src/sys/x86/x86/local_apic.c:1374: undefined reference to `msi_init'
/usr/src/sys/x86/x86/local_apic.c:1374: undefined reference to `msi_init'
nexus.o: In function `nexus_map_msi':
/usr/src/sys/x86/x86/nexus.c:653: undefined reference to `msi_map'
nexus.o: In function `nexus_release_msix':
/usr/src/sys/x86/x86/nexus.c:632: undefined reference to `msix_release'
nexus.o: In function `nexus_alloc_msix':
/usr/src/sys/x86/x86/nexus.c:625: undefined reference to `msix_alloc'
nexus.o: In function `nexus_release_msi':
/usr/src/sys/x86/x86/nexus.c:646: undefined reference to `msi_release'
nexus.o: In function `nexus_alloc_msi':
/usr/src/sys/x86/x86/nexus.c:639: undefined reference to `msi_alloc'
*** [kernel.debug] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/OFED-POLLING-ALTQ.
*** [buildkernel] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** [buildkernel] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
[root@ds380 /usr/src]#

i started a kernel build at last, but isn't the freebsd src supposed to be selfcompiling without dependancys.. unfortunally screen makes it impossible to get mote then abowe info it seems theres some dependancy not meet but not stating what..
Jhone
User

22 posts

Posted on 19 February 2019 @ 16:37
Getting Over It With Bennett Foffy Free Download Full Version ISO - PC/Mac
Plague Inc Evolved Free Download Full Version ISO - PC/Mac
Use video game playing time to motivate your children. Does your child love to play video games? Do you have a hard time motivating him to much of anything? As your child completes chores, allow him to play a certain amount of video game time. For instance, if you want your son to do the dishes, let him play for half an hour once he completes this task.
Last Page

Valid XHTML 1.1