Latest interface: 0.3.1
Latest system: 010
labiculum
User

17 posts

Posted on 26 February 2012 @ 06:18edited 06:20 17s
Well, as the title says. I am not sure where else to put this, so here are some questions as of current beta5:

#1: After a fresh Root-on-ZFS install, why is there a share of tmpfs configured? I'd like to know what purpose it serves and if I can remove it without causing problems. Also, I think I remember Jason writing somewhere that tmpfs shouldn't be used at this point in time. Am I mistaken?

#2: I cannot find any option in the web interface to change the host name (which is advertised via Samba) to something other than ZFSGURU. As I will soon be having two ZG servers on my home network, I would like to rename them to avoid confusion.

#3: On the files/filesystems page: If I share a certain parent fs with NFS then clicking one of its subdirectories also shows it as being shared. But if I use Samba to share an fs then the subdirs are not shown as being shared, too. Of course, the server does share the dirs including subdirs in both cases but to me this difference in share representation seems inconsistent (with lack of knowledge as a possible reason).

All of these are surely cosmetic issues, but still.

Greetings.
MauriceHendriks
User

14 posts

Posted on 26 February 2012 @ 14:33
labiculum wrote: Well, as the title says. I am not sure where else to put this, so here are some questions as of current beta5:

#1: After a fresh Root-on-ZFS install, why is there a share of tmpfs configured? I'd like to know what purpose it serves and if I can remove it without causing problems. Also, I think I remember Jason writing somewhere that tmpfs shouldn't be used at this point in time. Am I mistaken?

#2: I cannot find any option in the web interface to change the host name (which is advertised via Samba) to something other than ZFSGURU. As I will soon be having two ZG servers on my home network, I would like to rename them to avoid confusion.

#3: On the files/filesystems page: If I share a certain parent fs with NFS then clicking one of its subdirectories also shows it as being shared. But if I use Samba to share an fs then the subdirs are not shown as being shared, too. Of course, the server does share the dirs including subdirs in both cases but to me this difference in share representation seems inconsistent (with lack of knowledge as a possible reason).

All of these are surely cosmetic issues, but still.

Greetings.

#2 The most simple way is running sysinstall as root. Then Configure --> Networking --> Interfaces, then change the hostname in whatever you would like. You should maybe have to edit /etc/rc.conf to change the hostname over there. After rebooting everything should work.
Jason
Developer

806 posts

Posted on 26 February 2012 @ 14:54
tmpfs
A tmpfs share exists for network performance testing. This way you can test Samba performance without ZFS being a factor, since you use your RAM memory to actually do all I/O, which should never be a bottleneck especially for gigabit ethernet and slower connections.

However, the tmpfs share is only useful on the LiveCD, because the LiveCD actually has tmpfs mounted. If you have installed ZFSguru, then you are running a Root-on-ZFS distribution, which does NOT have tmpfs enabled by default.

I will be improving Samba support in the upcoming 0.3 beta's, which should be fairly close (March). Of course you can simply delete the tmpfs share, as well as the 'zfsguru' share that older Samba configurations had.

Hostname
Simply edit your hostname by executing "ee /etc/rc.conf", on top of that file you can see:
hostname="zfsguru.bsd"

Simply change this with alphanumerical characters (no spaces!) and save the file (press Escape, you see a menu). To do this you will need to be logged in via SSH or console. More networking functionality is planned for 0.4 release, but perhaps I can make an exception for the hostname functionality, as it's frequently requested.

NFS sub-filesystems are shared
Perhaps that's a bug, since the other filesystems are only implicitly shared. When you share a filesystem with Samba, you can see all subdirectories via Samba-access. But the web-interface will indeed say sub-directories are no shared. That behavior is intentional. But the disparity with NFS behaviour confuses you I guess?
labiculum
User

17 posts

Posted on 11 March 2012 @ 18:03
I'm not completely sure I understand what Maurice is talking about. But if it means having to do without the assistance provided by the ZFSguru installer, as a FreeBSD beginner I don't feel ready to set the whole thing up manually, yet.

Jason, thank you for these clarifications. I simply deleted the tmpfs share. But changing the hostname in rc.conf did not do the trick. Any other hint or a way to set it via the GUI would be great. Regarding the sharing issue, yes, the current behaviour confuses me, but I can learn to live with that :-)

PS: Sorry for the delay. I am about to become a father for the second time, so this is quite a busy time. Besides, I once jokingly said that I wouldn't want my children to grow up in a family that doesn't have its own file server. Well, mission accomplished.
DanielMd
User

2 posts

Posted on 28 October 2018 @ 05:28
Best post, The best linking site that emphasize the best and intellectual job that should be recognized in an efficient way because when it comes to generate the abilities of other interrogated situations and https://sites.google.com/site/hacerunensayo/como-hacer-un-trabajo-de-investigacion provides helpful material for all students which are highly appreciated in a simple way. Keep it up!
Last Page

Valid XHTML 1.1