Latest interface: beta9
Latest system: 10.1-001
pespn2000
User

49 posts

Posted on 3 April 2011 @ 07:22
When using vbox in zfsguru, should I enable vt-d in the bios?
danswartz
User

251 posts

Posted on 3 April 2011 @ 17:13
Do you mean vt-x? That is the hardware acceleration to help hosts do a better job virtualizing guests. If so, you need it on if the guest is 64-bits. For a 32-bit guest it doesn't really matter. vt-d is for pci pass through to a guest...
Jason
Developer

735 posts

Posted on 3 April 2011 @ 18:43edited 18:43 53s
Vt-x or AMD-V should always be enabled in BIOS; so indeed Virtualbox and other VM solutions can use it.

Vt-d is only available on Xeon CPUs as far as i know, and is used for ESXi with hardware PCI passthrough so you can 'give' an entire controller to one VM exclusively; most commonly a ZFS distribution, while running other virtualized operating systems on the same system.

The setup described above is a rather complicated and expensive option, the more common and easy approach is to have a dedicated ZFS box and separate Windows/Linux/Mac client workstations.
pespn2000
User

49 posts

Posted on 4 April 2011 @ 06:09
I'm using the SM X8SIL-F board with a Xeon x3440 CPU for my media server running ZFSGURU. Looking at the BIOS options, the only related functions are to enable Intel Virtualization and another one to enable VT-d. There don't seem to be any other options (vt-x,etc).

Right now I've enabled VT-d, but not sure if this is best for using the vbox solution in ZFSGURU.
danswartz
User

251 posts

Posted on 4 April 2011 @ 06:42
No, that is pointless. If zfsguru is going to be the hypervisor (e.g. you are running vbox in zfsguru), vt-d accomplishes nothing. You want "Intel Virtualization".
pespn2000
User

49 posts

Posted on 4 April 2011 @ 08:54
OK, that's what I suspected. Thanks.
danswartz
User

251 posts

Posted on 4 April 2011 @ 16:27
Let us know. It is unfortunate that every bios calls things differently, it seems :(
Last Page

Valid XHTML 1.1