Latest interface: 0.3.1
Latest system: 010
kjameson
User

18 posts

Posted on 5 April 2018 @ 16:06
First of all, I love ZFSGURU. I think that it has the best "bottom end" ... out of all available NAS's! It will accept (import) ZFS pools from almost anything without question! Does all the basics without question! Needs a lot of embellishments, but ...

However, there is no support! None! None of the "servers" have been offline ... for a while, now! There is no place to go to for assistance! ZFSGURU (as great as I believe it to be) needs a little (at least) ... TLC! I have made numerous attempts (via this forum, as well as individually) to get a little help, to no avail! The current situation is really a pity ... leaves the ZFSGURU "on the trail" with no water in sight!

So, should the ardent user and supporter move on? NAS4Free awaits! At least you can get a response ... anyone! Although there are "letters" to the contrary, no one seems to be in charge of the project for some time now! I am not angry ... but, it seems a shame to embrace "End Of Life" for ZFSGURU (such a wonderful NAS) ...
DVD_Chef
User

130 posts

Posted on 5 April 2018 @ 20:30
I pop in infrequently, as this forum still seems to be up for whatever reason.

At this point I would consider this project EOL and seek out other alternatives. As I mentioned in other threads, I have transitioned my systems over to vanilla FreeBSD installs so I could stay updated.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
jcmarco
User

5 posts

Posted on 7 April 2018 @ 15:43
Open letter:

Jason, thank you for this project, we understand that maintain this such big project could be daunting.
But, Could you upload all sources of this project to some github/gitlab in order to allow the rest of users to maintain the project using public repositories?
Thank you for all your work.

kjameson
User

18 posts

Posted on 14 April 2018 @ 17:42
Grandpa passed away during the night ... don't know what was wrong ... he lost his ability to communicate ... and ... nobody has his set of keys to the gold mine ... nobody knows but him ... and ... he is dead!

If anyone decides (or is able) to bring this project back to life ... please let me know!

Really, really ... sad!

I am using NAS4Free ... loving it ... closest thing I could find ... that works! It seemed to me that ZFSGURU was better (in some ways) ... but? What to do! I, too appreciate all the effort that had to go into the project ... but ZFSGURU (or at least, it seemed to me) deserved a decent burial! As it is ... laying on the sidewalk ... just decaying! Just my 2 cents! What a legacy!
dearangelo2
User

40 posts

Posted on 17 April 2018 @ 06:31edited 06:31 35s
kjameson wrote:
I am using NAS4Free ... loving it ... closest thing I could find ... that works! It seemed to me that ZFSGURU was better (in some ways) ... but? What to do! I, too appreciate all the effort that had to go into the project ... but ZFSGURU (or at least, it seemed to me) deserved a decent burial! As it is ... laying on the sidewalk ... just decaying! Just my 2 cents! What a legacy!

Hello kjameson,
I am in the process of finding my new NAS OS, I have a "crippled" 10.2, without any services, just what came with the installation, my efforts to move on to a newer version has not been successful and so I am anticipating the idea of installing a NAS4Free distro. I wave one question, since you say you have already done the "step forward", How do you import an already existing zfs pool in the NAS4Free environment?
Last Page

Valid XHTML 1.1