Latest interface: 0.3.1
Latest system: 010
DVD_Chef
User

119 posts

Posted on 9 August 2017 @ 21:43
I have a "new" install of ZFSguru using 11.1.009 that I am testing out. When copying files to one of the samba shares from my windows machine, the smbd process quickly climbs to 100% CPU usage and the copy slows to a crawl. If I cancel the copy the usage slowly returns to 1-3%.

Anyone else seeing this issue with slow copy speeds and high cpu usage?

I tried to upgrade to the 010 system version, but neither of the servers are responding from the install screen.
DVD_Chef
User

119 posts

Posted on 9 August 2017 @ 22:48
I have tested copying from both an ubuntu machine and another FreeBSD machine and both show the same results. When using any sort of app that can do multi-thread copying, it will quickly peg the CPU at 100% using only 4 threads. I can do the same thing by starting copies from multiple machines at the same time, but in this case each client has their own smbd process.
DVD_Chef
User

119 posts

Posted on 9 August 2017 @ 22:53
The zfsguru "server" has a 3.4GHz dual core Xeon processor and 16GB of ram. The pool consists of 14 2TB drives in a RAID10 configuration.
karmantyu
User

131 posts

Posted on 10 August 2017 @ 21:41
It has something to do with dataset compression I think. LZ4 compression should be on by default for nearly anything you ever set up under ZFS but I have experienced similar setback under Samba 4. Try copying compression switched off.
DVD_Chef
User

119 posts

Posted on 11 August 2017 @ 18:34
I disabled compression on the filesystem and the entire pool even with no impact.

I setup a NFS share to the same filesystem and was able to copy data from multiple threads and clients with no corresponding spike in CPU usage. The nfsd process did so an increase with more clients, but never went over 20%.

I am on 11.1.009, so the samba version is still on a 3.6 version.
DVD_Chef
User

119 posts

Posted on 11 August 2017 @ 21:19edited 21:22 46s
It looks like one of the servers is responding now, so I am going to try and install one of the 11.0 release versions instead of the stable branch I am currently running.

---EDIT---

Well I thought the install was working, but it got the same error "tried all servers (2) but could not download file!". It just took a little longer this time for it to fail I guess.
karmantyu
User

131 posts

Posted on 11 August 2017 @ 23:07
I'm sorry I couldn't help. My educated guess was Samba4 and LZ4. I've upgraded the system as I wrote here.
http://zfsguru.com/forum/zfsgurusupport/1149
DVD_Chef
User

119 posts

Posted on 11 August 2017 @ 23:36
Thanks for the link karmantyu, as I may try an update. So how much else will break if I do a pkg upgrade? At this point if too much of the web stuff stops working, and I will be managing things over ssh, it may be better just to ditch ZFSguru and install FreeBSD directly.
karmantyu
User

131 posts

Posted on 12 August 2017 @ 08:03edited 08:23 06s
Some web service interfaces may stop working after PKG upgrade but I cannot say which ones. I rarely use web interface for services I prefer using Mate desktop.
It seems that ZFSGuru web interface will function correctly after PKG upgrade. Samba setup will write the config files to a place for Samba3 so we need to place the files to a correct location for Samba4.
DVD_Chef
User

119 posts

Posted on 15 August 2017 @ 00:04edited 00:06 12s
I do not use any of the graphical desktop parts of zfsguru, since I run it on
two HP microservers for file storage. With all the laptops, phones and chromebooks in our household, we have no need to use it as a desktop.
Last Page

Valid XHTML 1.1