Latest interface: 0.3.1
Latest system: 010
biochron
User

5 posts

Posted on 24 February 2017 @ 09:27
Hello,

I have a server running ZFSguru 10.0, which was installed a few years ago. Since the beginning of this year, most of the programs installed are not running, with a "/lib/libc.so.7: version FBSD_1.4 required..." error, which from what I could find is related to 10.0 being now deprecated.

The easy solution is to upgrade ZFSguru to the current 10.3. However, I don't have physical access to the server - it's back home, and home is about 10,000 km away!

So is there a way to remotely upgrade the server through ssh? What would be the recommended steps?

Thanks in advance.

CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 24 February 2017 @ 19:49
ZFSguru makes this very easy; just do an install via the web-interface. This can be done while the system is running, because ZFSguru installs itself to its own filesystem, not affecting anything else stored on that pool.

In fact, ZFSguru was designed so you can put multiple installations on the same pool, and you can select/toggle which one you want to be active so that when you (re)boot that installation is actually booted. You can do that on the System->Booting page.

So just do a new installation on System->Install. However, do realise:

-> a new installation means all passwords, such as for SSH, are reset. Meaning you cannot get into SSH because no password for the SSH user is set, meaning you cannot login.

-> all configuration is reset to default, meaning that Lighttpd is all that is running. The ZFSguru web-interface preferences such as password and IP access control is being saved, however. So you might be able to access port 80 after rebooting to your new installation, but only if you made that port available to access from the internet.

-> after installing but before rebooting, you can do manual tweaks on the command line (root shell) if you like. For example:

# assuming you just installed 11.0.009, mount the new installation filesystem to /mnt:
zfs set mountpoint=/mnt tank/zfsguru/11.0.009

# now you can access the contents of the new installation like this:
ls -l /mnt

# for example, you can set the SSH password:
chroot /mnt passwd ssh

# BEFORE you reboot, you MUST set the mountpoint to 'legacy' again:
zfs set mountpoint=legacy tank/zfsguru/11.0.009

# now you can reboot to your new installation
shutdown -r now

CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 24 February 2017 @ 19:52
Just to make clear: after doing a new installation with ZFSguru, you will have a NEW installation and not an upgraded installation. So any installed package/port or other configuration change, will not be saved to the new installation. The exception is the preferences of the ZFSguru web-interface, and ZFS settings such as shared NFS filesystems; those are saved directly in the ZFS properties and thus always are saved across (re-)installations.
biochron
User

5 posts

Posted on 24 February 2017 @ 21:20
That's great, seems like I have a weekend project.

A couple of quick questions.
- What about updating the bootcode?
- Forgot to mention that I'm running a Root-on-ZFS distribution, but your instructions should be the same, right?

Thanks again for the help.
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 24 February 2017 @ 21:30
If you did not do any 'zpool upgrade' in the meantime, or upgraded your pool via the ZFSguru web-interface, then you do not need new bootcode.

So you can do many installs of newer versions, without ever updating your bootcode. All that changes however, if you use a newer version that supports a new ZFS pool feature and you create a new pool with that version, then you need new bootcode. So if you ever delete your pool and re-create it, THEN you need to update the bootcode, because the new pool may have features that your older bootcode does not support.

For example: ZFS now supports booting from pools that have large_blocks feature (recordsize >128K). ZFSguru still lists that as unbootable, but that should be changed because newer bootcode does support this. Also the new checksum algorithms such as Skein and one other feature that became bootable i believe. But that new bootcode is not in ZFSguru yet! I will ship it in 0.4 when it comes; which could be rather soon... :P
biochron
User

5 posts

Posted on 25 February 2017 @ 03:13
Thank you for the detailed information.
biochron
User

5 posts

Posted on 1 March 2017 @ 19:17
Hi CiPHER,

After quite a few headaches (things are never easy, right?), I was able to do a fresh install of ZFSguru, and learn a lot about FreeBSD in the process.

However, my problem isn't solved yet. My installation is so old that the web-interface is still 0.2.0-rc. This means the only systems available to install are based on 10.0-RELEASE, 10-STABLE, 10.1-RC1 and 11.0-CURRENT, all of which are EOL now.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks again for the support.
Last Page

Valid XHTML 1.1