Latest interface: 0.3.1
Latest system: 010
IaaacekOI
User

4 posts

Posted on 18 February 2017 @ 18:17
Hello, my disk with zfsguru installation(0.2.0-beta8) is dying, so I must reinstall zfsguru on new disk. My question is, can I import all of my current pools after new installation and if so, it is stable and secure process as I dont have any backup of my current pools?
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 19 February 2017 @ 03:59edited 04:00 18s
Hi!

can I import all of my current pools after new installation and if so, it is stable and secure process as I dont have any backup of my current pools?Yes no problem at all!

But beware of one danger: if you do NOT have your pools imported, you can write to the disks and destroy data. Once your pool is imported, you cannot directly write to the disks anymore; ZFS is using them. This protects your disks from any mistakes with disk names, for example when you think you are formatting another unrelated disk.

So it is safe to import your pools always ASAP, before doing other things.

Some things:
-> you should only need to import pools after having boot with the LiveCD or when migrating a pool from one system to the other.
-> ZFSguru installation means the new installation 'knows' all the pools that were known during the time of installation
-> importing is safe; if it can't be imported then you get an error. importing with special options might cause minor dataloss; so called recovery import options. But ZFSguru doesn't use those in the GUI.

So if you boot with LiveCD, just:
1) import your pool
2) check your pool on the Pools page
3) Install new ZFSguru version with System->Install where you can select the version and continue with installation proces.

I do this all the time with ZFSguru, so its casual for me. Just know that your installed addons will not be migrated and you will need to setup your Samba shares (shared filesystems) again! This will be addressed in the future.
IaaacekOI
User

4 posts

Posted on 19 February 2017 @ 09:59
Thx for answer. So importing pools with zfs version 28 from old zfsguru setup to new where is default zfs version 5000 its risk free?
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 19 February 2017 @ 15:26
Yes!

You may want to 'upgrade' the pool to new version 5000, so you can use new features. But it is not required. Know however that when you upgrade to a higher ZFS version, you can never downgrade again. So your pool becomes incompatible with very old ZFS platforms that do not support v5000 features. But i do not consider this to be a big problem: you want to run a modern system version as well.
IaaacekOI
User

4 posts

Posted on 19 February 2017 @ 17:30
Ok, import was sucessfull! Now I can change my pampers for ordinary underpants. Uff...
Thx for help.
Last Page

Valid XHTML 1.1