Latest interface: 0.3.1
Latest system: 010
sweex
User

9 posts

Posted on 11 December 2016 @ 19:35
I am running 10.3.004 and I am looking to upgrade to 11.0.008.

Before proceeding I was wondering if this also means that I will have to reinstall all my services?
The server is mainly used as a backup server and as a TimeMachine and I prefer to avoid re-configuring it.
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 11 December 2016 @ 20:29
Hi Sweex,

Yes, if you install a new version you will need all services to be installed again and re-configured. The need for this will disappear once the Migration Manager is introduced. This will not happen before February 2017.

What you can do, is migrate the configuration manually. The configuration file kept by AppleShare ('netatalk3') is something you can copy over to your new installation. So a solution could be:

1) use the command line or shell (Access->SSH) to copy the configuration:
cp -p /usr/local/etc/afp.conf /tank/
2) install the new ZFSguru version 11.0.008
3) once you have rebooted and are running 11.0.008, install the AppleShare service
4) now move the configuration file to its new location: mv /tank/afp.conf /usr/local/etc/afp.conf

Now reboot or start AppleShare manually. Hope it works! :)

Note: replace tank in the above example with the name of your pool!
sweex
User

9 posts

Posted on 12 December 2016 @ 10:10
Thanks. So I won't have to recreate the filesystem but I will have to reconfigure samba sharing and so on as well?
tmau
User

7 posts

Posted on 14 December 2016 @ 13:35edited 13:35 53s
You can copy pretty much any of your old configuration data to the same location on the new system using CiPHER's step by step guide.

Samba config for example is at /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf

fstab (for auto mounting), group, and passwd are in /etc
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 15 December 2016 @ 06:26
Yes and for regular Samba (Samba3) the location of the configuration is /usr/local/etc/smb.conf

So you can use the same steps as in my previous reply, but use smb.conf instead of afp.conf.

In the future this all will be super easy to do via the web-interface with the Migration Manager. Until then you need to do this manually after each system image upgrade.
ronlemmens
User

3 posts

Posted on 24 March 2017 @ 18:37
CiPHER, any news on the Migration Manager?
Last Page

Valid XHTML 1.1