Latest system: 010
blkdoc
User

4 posts

Posted on 1 December 2016 @ 13:05edited 13:08 23s
Hello,

I have a system with the following:

Powered by ZFSguru version 0.2.0-beta8
Running official system image 10.0-002 featuring FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE with ZFS v5000.
Running Root-on-ZFS distribution.
IBM ServeRAID M1015 / LSI SAS9220-8i PCI-Express PCIe 8-port 6Gb/s SAS+SATA Controller.

10 SATA Disks with the following:

Disk Label Size (legacy) Size (binary) Sector Identified as
ada0 GPT: Boot1 500.1 GB 465.8 GiB 512 B <WDC WD5000AAKX-08U6AA0 19.01H19> ATA-8 SATA 3.x device
ada1 GPT: Media-10 3 TB 2.7 TiB 512 B <WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 80.00A80> ATA-9 SATA 3.x device
ada2 GPT: Media-03 3 TB 2.7 TiB 512 B <WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 80.00A80> ATA-9 SATA 3.x device
da0 GPT: Media-04 3 TB 2.7 TiB 512 B <ATA WDC WD30EFRX-68E 0A80> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-6 device
da1 GPT: Media-05 3 TB 2.7 TiB 512 B <ATA WDC WD30EFRX-68E 0A80> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-6 device
da2 GPT: Media-06 3 TB 2.7 TiB 512 B <ATA WDC WD30EFRX-68E 0A80> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-6 device
da3 GPT: Media-07 3 TB 2.7 TiB 512 B <ATA WDC WD30EFRX-68E 0A80> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-6 device
da4 GPT: Media-08 3 TB 2.7 TiB 512 B <ATA WDC WD30EFRX-68E 0A80> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-6 device
da5 GPT: Media-09 3 TB 2.7 TiB 512 B <ATA WDC WD30EFRX-68E 0A80> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-6 device
da6 GPT: Media-01 3 TB 2.7 TiB 512 B <ATA WDC WD30EFRX-68A 0A80> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-6 device
da7 GPT: Media-02 3 TB 2.7 TiB 512 B <ATA WDC WD30EFRX-68E 0A80> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-6 device

ZFS pool configuration
Detected 2 ZFS pools, select a pool for more options. Beware: capacities on this page are listed differently than the files page!

Pool name SPA Redundancy Capacity Used Free Status
OS 28 RAID0 (no redundancy) 464G 935M 463G ONLINE
Media 28 RAID6 (double parity) 27.2T 16.0T 11.3T ONLINE

I am not very familiar with ZFS Guru for now. I will like to remove it without loosing all my data on the RAID6 Array but not sure how to do it as I inherited the server with ZFS Guru already installed and not sure how it works with the installed RAID card as all the drives are connected to it.

Best Regards,
Abby
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 3 December 2016 @ 00:54
Hi Abby,

I will try to help you, but i'm afraid i do not understand your question very well.

You wish to 'remove' ZFSguru. This can be accomplished by removing the 'zfsguru' filesystem, that should be on your boot pool. For example, it could be 'Boot1/zfsguru' in your case.

However, may i ask why you are trying to do this? If you want another platform like FreeNAS to access the data, then just install FreeNAS. No need to remove anything. ZFSguru files will take about 1 gigabyte or something. So if you want to use that space, then removing ZFSguru is an option. However, you can just as well leave it for now. Who knows if you want to boot into ZFSguru again for whatever reason.

All you accomplish by 'removing' ZFSguru is that you cannot boot ZFSguru. But, if you do not want to boot ZFSguru, then don't! Boot your other platform, like FreeNAS or NAS4Free. The fact that some ZFSguru files remain in the 'zfsguru' filesystem will not affect anything.

You can remove filesystems on the Files page. Look for the 'Display hidden filesystems' dark coloured bar and click it. This will reveal the ZFSguru filesystems and you can click it and remove it with the 'Destroy Filesystem' button.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
blkdoc
User

4 posts

Posted on 3 December 2016 @ 07:54edited 11:47 12s
Hello CiPHER,

Thank for the reply. Yes, it looks like the zfsguru filesystem is installed on Boot1/zfsguru.

I am not really familiar with the workings of ZFS/ZFS Guru.

The reason for me wanting to do this is for me to be able to install Windows 10 on this machine and install PLEX server but still want to keep all my media on the RAID 6 Array. There is a RAID card installed in the system with all the drives connected to it but I can't see anyway to get to the RAID card to see its configuration.

I am not sure if I remove zfsguru I will also loose the RAID 6 Array and therefore my media data.

I am open to suggestions for the best way to accomplish my goal.

Best Regards,
Abby
bitmap
User

26 posts

Posted on 3 December 2016 @ 20:03
A few things I notice: The IBM M1015 is a popular card to flash with non-raid firmware, like using an image for LSI9211-IT mode, so it is likely whoever built this system may have done so, as hardware raid isn't that useful in a ZFS raid. There are 10 disks in the RAID-6 array (implemented as RAID-Z2) with two of the disks connected to built-in SATA ports and 8 on the IBM SAS card, so the hardware raid features wouldn't be in use even if the card still had raid firmware.

The difficult part though, is that Windows can't read the ZFS filesystem, so the only real way to keep the data is running a ZFS-aware OS like FreeBSD/ZFSguru/FreeNAS or ZFSonLinux, or to migrate all the data to some other system and reformat everything from Windows.
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 3 December 2016 @ 23:13
I guess her real question is not how to remove ZFSguru, but how to migrate the data from ZFS to her legacy RAID solution. In other words, she wants to stop using ZFS and use something that works directly under Windows. Did i understand that correctly, Abby?

If so, the answer is that this is not very simple. The simplest way would be to leave ZFSguru as it is now and copy all the data via the network to external drives or other storage under Windows OS. Once you have copied everything, you can overwrite all the harddrives and use them for a new purpose. But this means you will need temporary storage for all the data. The good news is that you only need storage space for the data you wish to keep.

The alternative would be to keep using ZFS and ZFSguru and use the storage under Windows like many people do, but indirectly via the network. Just like Synology and QNAP do not run Windows, but allow Windows users to access the storage over the network.
blkdoc
User

4 posts

Posted on 4 December 2016 @ 04:09edited 04:21 48s
Hi bitmap and CiPHER,

BTW she is an He :)

Thank you for the information and details.

So in conclusion, it looks like if I want to keep my data and use a different OS such as windows I will have to migrate the data first which will take some time and I need another very large storage place of about 16 TB.

CiPher's solution of using the ZFSguru storage under windows is a possibility but I have never used ZFSguru before. Does it support iSCSI connected network storage and if so how do I configure this to work with windows?

bitmap's solution may also work but I also not very familiar with Linux but I know there is is Linux version of PLEX server. Can I install that directly on the ZFSguru partition? If so, how?

Either way it looks like learning ZFSguru will be a useful task for me moving forward.

In addition, how do I upgrade my current installed version of ZFSguru and is it likely to break anything?

Best Regards,
Abby
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 10 December 2016 @ 00:42
Hi Abby,

Sorry for my late reply - we had national holidays in The Netherlands and i was quite busy. :)

Also apologies for calling you a 'she' - to me 'Abby' sounded female. I thought in the back my head 'how cool a woman using our product' hehe. Guess i have to wait for another day for that achievement. ;)

CiPher's solution of using the ZFSguru storage under windows is a possibility but I have never used ZFSguru before. Does it support iSCSI connected network storage and if so how do I configure this to work with windows?Using iSCSI is an option. But just so you know: regular Windows filesharing uses SMB/CIFS and not iSCSI.

Regular Windows filesharing means you have a drive like X: in your My Computer that you can store files with. Windows itself does not know the exact filesystem, which is ZFS. iSCSI is a little bit different. iSCSI means a virtual harddrive is passed to Windows. Windows sees this drive in Disk Management. You can format the drive with NTFS on Windows just like it was an internal drive.

iSCSI has one major benefit: it allows Windows to cache files. Meaning, if you read a file for the second time, it will be read from RAM memory and will be VERY FAST. So suppose you have a game installed on the iSCSI drive. The second time you start this game, it will be run at RAM speed basically. This is very cool indeed!

iSCSI has drawbacks too: it does not store files on ZFS directly. Files are stored on the virtual harddrive which Windows formats as NTFS. This virtual harddrive is then stored on ZFS. This means not all benefits of ZFS apply to your data.

Windows filesharing (SMB/CIFS) is most used when storing data on a NAS. It is also the easiest. You enter the IP of the server in the address bar in 'My Computer' and then right click to select 'Map network drive'. This will give you a drive letter like X: which is visible in My Computer, automatically everytime you reboot Windows.

Probably you should start using SMB/CIFS first - iSCSI is a little more advanced though not difficult to setup on Windows. Here is a step by step guide though:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee338476(v=ws.10).aspx

Plex
ZFSguru supports Plex as an addon which you can install via the web-interface. It should work, though i do not use Plex myself.

In addition, how do I upgrade my current installed version of ZFSguru and is it likely to break anything?ZFSguru is different than other operating systems. In Windows, you cannot easily install multiple Windows on the same drive. With ZFSguru, that is piece of cake!

You can install as many ZFSguru installations on the same ZFS pool as there is storage space. You can even switch between the installations if you like (on the System->Booting page). Installing a new version does NOT overwrite anything that already exists!

So the solution should be simple: boot ZFSguru with a USB-stick or LiveCD and then perform an installation. Then simply boot from it. Nothing is removed, the old installation will still be present and it only takes up some space. You can remove the old installation if you like, on the System->Booting page.

Help with installation
If you need help with anything, then please ask! I can help you via the forum, or i can help you via IRC chat which is a live chat. I'm even in the mood to help you by phone if desired.

Let me know how you wish to proceed, all right? I have time the coming week. Though the last weeks of December will be very busy for me.

Hope you can make ZFS work for you, because ZFS is sooooo awesome! It is ultra advanced storage that is accessible to mortal human beings free of charge. I think that is awesome. :)

Cheers!
abbydoc
User

4 posts

Posted on 8 January 2017 @ 14:24
Hello CiPHER,

Thank you for all the information. As I am not familiar with your solution I am trying learn.

For now I want to copy some files to and from a USB attached HDD but not sure how to go about it after I have attached the USB HDD. I tried to add AJAX File Browser but I can't because of my version of your software installed and I don't want to play with upgrading that for now until I know more.

What and how can I copy to and from a USB HDD to folders located on the RAID array for now?

Regards,
blkdoc
Hakker
User

76 posts

Posted on 8 January 2017 @ 15:58edited 16:11 40s
The easiest way are 2 options you can follow.

Working plex with ZFSguru part.
1. install Plex from the services menu.
2. Install plex on another machine with simple network sharing. I use that myself at this time.
I have a Plex setup running on a Windows machine (also the HTPC) and have access with SMB (Access-->shares in the zfsguru interface where you set who has what kind of access on the server).

Copy data from ZFSguru to Windows machine part.

1.As for copying data you should check the Access-->shares part in zfsguru. there you can add users and groups who can access data over the network.
2.Easiest way is to create a user with your windows username (email adresses don't work well) and with the same windows password. Then you can access it under the network in windows.
3.Under Access-->Settings you can see the Netbios name (by default zfsguru). In Windows for instances "This PC" or how they call it nowadays you can type in the address bar \\netbiosname.
If the name is zfsguru then it will be \\zfsguru and then you can see everything that you have shared in zfsguru's Access-->Shares part.

2a. If you login with your hotmail account on windows (not to uncommon nowadays) then just create a name and password. The difference is that you need to give those credentials when you try to access the network share. Otherwise you don't have to do that.

I hope this is a bit clear for you.
abbydoc
User

4 posts

Posted on 8 January 2017 @ 18:56edited 18:57 02s
Hi Hakker,

Thank you for the detailed information but I can't find any option for Access-->shares in zfsguru interface where I can add users.

Also, How can I copy from an USB HDD connected to my zfsguru server to a share in my drive pool?

Regards
blkdoc
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 8 January 2017 @ 19:11
Access->Users is where you add new users; it only works for Samba CIFS shares when the 'share' level security model has been selected, which is the default for ZFSguru.
abbydoc
User

4 posts

Posted on 8 January 2017 @ 20:12
Hi CiPHER,

I fully understand but where so I find the Access option in the interface.

Also, any feedback to my second question above?

CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 8 January 2017 @ 20:57edited 20:58 01s
You need ZFSguru 0.3 to see the Access page. It should be between Files and Services page.

As to your question about the USB HDD: it does not matter the harddrive is USB. What matters is what partition and filesystem resides on it. The partition should be detected automatically, but the filesystem could be NTFS for example and that requires some tinkering to get mounted properly. The best if to only mount NTFS read-only on non-Windows systems. Write-access is possible though, but beware of possible dataloss in the case that the filesystem was not shutdown cleanly by windows before mounting.

You can try:

pkg install fusefs-ntfs

You will need to check the manual page to see the actual mount command, but usually something like:

<command> <device_to_be_mounted> <path_where_it_must_be_mounted>
i.e.:
fusefs-ntfs /dev/da0s2 /mnt

In this example, da0 is the USB HDD where s2 is the second MBR partition. A GPT partition would be 'p' instead of 's'. So p2 for the second GPT partition. You can see all partitions with:

gpart show da0
Last Page

Valid XHTML 1.1