Latest interface: 0.3.1
Latest system: 010
Thomas Krath
User

6 posts

Posted on 31 May 2016 @ 17:47edited 17:48 11s
HELP. I can not get in touch with ZTSguru. 1 HDD is broken. There are a total of four. what should I do. Can not remember which version of ZFS I use.

Thanks from Thomas, Denmark
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 31 May 2016 @ 22:28
Hi Thomas,

First of all, do not panic. :)

Please tell me if you can access the ZFSguru web-interface and if so what the Pools page says about your pool. If the HDD is really dead, you should buy another one and replace the one that failed. I assume you are using RAID-Z or RAID-Z2 so your pool can cope with a disk failure? If using RAID0 / striping your pool is failed if one disk fails. Only with redundancy will your pool be able to cope with a disk failure.

Please let me know and i will guide you through the process of replacing your failed disk!

- CiPHER
Thomas Krath
User

6 posts

Posted on 1 June 2016 @ 07:39
Hi Cipher

I can´t get in touch with ZFSguru web-interface, but it is still running.

As I recall , I use RAID-Z

I will buy a new HDD, should it be the same brand/model?

-Thomas
redhams
User

37 posts

Posted on 1 June 2016 @ 12:53edited 12:58 56s
A replacement HDD doesn't have to be same brand or model. It has to be of equal or larger size though. 1TB of different brands may not equal when compared down to MB. Which is one reason why you should exclude the last 100MB when partitioning to avoid such situation.

I suggest to post a photo of whatever you have on server screen. It will help to understand the situation.
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 1 June 2016 @ 14:40
ZFSguru already reserves some space at the end of the partition, to settle for small differences. In addition, i recall that modern harddrives (2TB+?) have standardised capacities, meaning that modern 4TB drives will have the exact same capacity, whereas in the past two brands could differ a bit. For this reason, RAID controllers such as Areca had an option to limit the storage capacity per GB or 10GB.

ZFSguru reserves some space at the end of the GPT partition, which may suffice for disks that still have varying capacity.

@Thomas Krath: if you cannot get in touch with the ZFSguru web-interface, how exactly do you know it is still running? What does your browser say when you try to reach its IP address? Do you know the correct IP address? Can you connect with SSH to the server? Have you tried rebooting the server?
Thomas Krath
User

6 posts

Posted on 5 June 2016 @ 19:01edited 19:14 57s
Hi Cipher

Sorry for the late reply but it's total summer in denmark:-). I have found out that my nas just reboot again and again. It starts to load ZFS but after 10 sec. it starts to reboot... but why? It is v. 10.1-001

Still a defect HDD

Best form sunny Denmark
redhams
User

37 posts

Posted on 8 June 2016 @ 11:20
Try to boot ZFSguru from cdrom or USB. Go to pools page and import existing pool.
Then you can find more information about pool status, failed/missing disk, and initiate a replace if applicable.

Hope this help.
Thomas Krath
User

6 posts

Posted on 12 June 2016 @ 14:43
redhams wrote: Try to boot ZFSguru from cdrom or USB. Go to pools page and import existing pool.
Then you can find more information about pool status, failed/missing disk, and initiate a replace if applicable.

Hope this help.

I have now tried to boot ZFSguru from USB and import existing pool.

This is what came up and when i try to import pool or data it says: failed importing pool/data

Import pool Server
pool: Server
id: 9352663083620703154
state: FAULTED
action: The pool cannot be imported. Attach the missing
devices and try again.
The pool may be active on another system, but can be imported using
the '-f' flag.
see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-3C
config:

Server FAULTED corrupted data
raidz1-0 FAULTED corrupted data
15151003030302242549 UNAVAIL cannot open
gpt/Server2 ONLINE
gpt/Server3 ONLINE
gpt/Server4 ONLINE
Import pool Data
pool: Data
id: 8855890677703862849
state: FAULTED
action: The pool cannot be imported. Attach the missing
devices and try again.
The pool may be active on another system, but can be imported using
the '-f' flag.
see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-3C
config:

Data FAULTED corrupted data
raidz1-0 DEGRADED
5381868844704448609 UNAVAIL cannot open
diskid/DISK-S2H7J1AB115048 ONLINE
diskid/DISK-S2H7J9FZC05988 ONLINE
diskid/DISK-S2H7J1AB115050 ONLINE
bitmap
User

26 posts

Posted on 14 June 2016 @ 05:19edited 05:26 28s
If anyone else can confirm the following, please do. I've not had to import a faulted pool,
but I believe if you use the WebUI while booted from USB, and go to System -> Preferences -> Usability
and turn on "Command Confirmation", and when you search for pools and select yours for import, you should get a confirmation page that will allow you to modify the command it is about to run to add the -f into the command, which should look something like: zpool import -f Server

The line "Server FAULTED corrupted data" is not promising, and there may be data loss in one of the remaining disks.

If this still fails to import, there is one more hope with a slightly dangerous transaction roll-back.
Only if the import above fails, you might test if a roll-back is possible with commands: zpool import -Fn Server
This command by itself is not dangerous, as the "n" says to not write any changes, but only preform a test.

You can find more about transaction roll-back recovery here: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/36865/

Please do let us know if this works, and then we can get that faulty disk replaced in the pool.

redhams
User

37 posts

Posted on 14 June 2016 @ 13:20
ouch!
that looks like a raid0 pool, not raidz. I'm afraid nothing can be done unless the missing/broken HDD is attached and in somewhat working condition.

Hope I'm wrong though
Thomas Krath
User

6 posts

Posted on 20 June 2016 @ 17:19
Hi all

So i am back.

Seems that nothing can be done. But many thanks for the help everyone.

Best from Denmark
raid4eva
User

6 posts

Posted on 4 July 2016 @ 13:20
Thomas Krath wrote: Hi all

So i am back.

Seems that nothing can be done. But many thanks for the help everyone.

Best from Denmark

Hi,

What happens if you move all of the disk cables to a different drive and turn it on?

Does it work if the drives are plugged in to a different socket on the motherboard?

cecigonaku
User

3 posts

Posted on 8 October 2018 @ 05:09edited 05:09 44s
goof
cecigonaku
User

3 posts

Posted on 8 October 2018 @ 05:09edited 05:10 04s
Last Page

Valid XHTML 1.1