Latest interface: 0.3.1
Latest system: 010
Jason
Developer

806 posts

Posted on 15 August 2015 @ 21:19edited 23:51 58s
Dear ZFSguru users. Today is the day! :-)

ZFSguru version 0.3.0 is now available for download. This is the final version.

WARNING: MUST READ!
  • You can download the new releases on the Download page.
  • To use the USB image, you will need RaWrite32 to burn it to USB stick. Instructions can be found here.
  • If your disks are formatted with an earlier version, you MUST UPDATE THE BOOTCODE! You can do this on the Disks page. Click on your disk, then click on the coloured boot partition. Then click the Update Bootcode button. Repeat for all disks.
  • ZFSguru Services (addons) are not yet available for the new release. I will upload them tomorrow.
  • Please DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR PRODUCTION SYSTEM right away. Instead, wait a week or so. Due to many changes, some bugs or regressions may pop up. This only affects the web-interface; the rest is all stable and production quality. Waiting a week will give me the time to give you a smooth upgrade experience!
  • Upgrading from 0.2 to 0.3 is NOT SUPPORTED! You must boot with the new LiveCD or USB image and perform a new installation. Your existing pool can be used, no data will be lost. But your installation will be new and fresh, and you will need to configure your Samba shares again.

Changes since 0.3.0-prerelease
  • Fixed a bug where creating a pool with 512B sector size would yield an error.
  • Fixed a bug where NFS shares with 'private' access profile would not work.
  • Added a Windows workaround/quirk to the 'How to access NFS' page.
  • Updated the service pages to reflect proper product version and service serial number.
  • Merged final version of the preloaded.rc script.

Changes since 0.2
  • TODO - LIST COMING SOON

Known issues that exist in 0.3.0
  • NFS shares with 'protected' access profile may not work.
  • distribution models Root-on-RAM and Root-on-Media are not usable yet.

How to upgrade your existing system to the new version?

If you are running 0.3.0-prerelease, you can simply update to the new version on the System -> Update page.
For versions prior to 0.3, you will need to perform a new installation. Upgrading from 0.2 to 0.3 is NOT SUPPORTED!

On behalf of developer CiPHER and myself, thanks for your trust in ZFSguru. We hope you will like the new release! :-)
chuzzwassa
User

19 posts

Posted on 16 August 2015 @ 04:50
The Status page says:

"Powered by ZFSguru version 0.3.0
Running an unofficial system image featuring FreeBSD 10.2-RELEASE with ZFS v5000.
Running from USB-stick - not installed yet!"

Is the USB image unofficial?
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 16 August 2015 @ 05:17
This can happen if you clicked the Update web-interface button, then you will have a slightly older database version that does not know the '002' build yet. But it really is the official version. You can wait 4 hours or update manually on the System->Preferences->Advanced page. Then it should say it is official.

It will only matter once the services are uploaded. Because the database has to 'know' them before they can be downloaded and installed.
chuzzwassa
User

19 posts

Posted on 16 August 2015 @ 05:30
I downloaded the image, dd'd it to a USB stick, booted the USB stick, skipped the welcome wizard, turned on 'offline' mode, clicked the status tab.

No update was done because I can only access the internet via a proxy server.

Not too concerned because I know I downloaded it from zfsguru.com
kimblo
User

7 posts

Posted on 16 August 2015 @ 09:26
Congratulations!

The amount of lurker time I've spent on this site the last few weeks are over 9000
I'm the douche that nagged about the no USB-installation a little while ago in the General section.
And honestly, being 30+ and having this feeling about a project that I'm not even invested in myself is rare.
I'm so happy for you.
Now, on to my next nagg-shit...
Where is the donation option?!
I wanna throw some money at you two.

Cheers and again, thank you!
Hakker
User

77 posts

Posted on 16 August 2015 @ 13:08
since this is made with novices in mind you should make some of the text a bit clearer.

"If your disks are formatted with an earlier version, you MUST UPDATE THE BOOTCODE! You can do this on the Disks page. Click on your disk, then click on the coloured boot partition. Then click the Update Bootcode button. Repeat for all disks."
For instance should you do this on every disk in the pool? or only the one were FreeBSD/ZFSGuru is installed? secondly do you do this before you try and install the new version or can you do this during the install or when the new web interface shows up?

I mean I'm not going to update soon myself but those are points to some people might have. during updating.
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 16 August 2015 @ 16:26
You only have to update the bootcode for the disk you want to boot from. But it is recommended to do this for all disks. The boot sequence may change and with old bootcode you may get weird boot errors and you may not notice you are actually booting from the 'wrong' disk which still has old bootcode. So perform the update for all disks.

If you have formatted your disks with 0.2-rc, this is not required. But it is required if you formatted your disks with an earlier version like 0.2 beta9.

You should update the bootcode before you reboot into your new installation. You can do it before the installation procedure or after, that does not matter. But do it before you reboot and want to boot from your disks.
Hakker
User

77 posts

Posted on 16 August 2015 @ 20:24
Is this possible when you still have beta9 running?

broken image
this shows an outdated bootcode but does it show the proper one since I run beta 9.
Use it if it helps with the start post.
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 16 August 2015 @ 20:38edited 20:39 41s
I don't quite follow you?

If you have beta9 and want to use 0.3, you should update the bootcode while running ZFSguru 0.3 otherwise it will install the older bootcode of 0.2 beta9 in your case.

So you boot the 0.3 USB or LiveCD, update the bootcode, perform a new installation, then boot into your new installation. That is the proper sequence.
mickware1
User

3 posts

Posted on 16 August 2015 @ 22:12

any progress with the services (addons) in this version
painkiller895_1
User

6 posts

Posted on 16 August 2015 @ 22:19
services please
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 16 August 2015 @ 22:41
You have to ask Jason about the services... But i think he is working hard on them. :)

The services have also received updates. But not so much to pull them to a higher level, just to make them work again because of the many changes with the ZFSguru project and also with the services/apps themselves.
Jason
Developer

806 posts

Posted on 16 August 2015 @ 23:10edited 23:45 34s
Services are being uploaded as we speak. Some are already available. But only for 10.2.002 - the recommended system image. The same version is included with the LiveCD and USB images.

If you want X, you will have to wait for awhile. My internet does not have as high upload capability. :-)
Jason
Developer

806 posts

Posted on 16 August 2015 @ 23:39
As of this moment, quite a few services are available for the 10.2.002 system image. Give it another try!
yabsevenh
User

17 posts

Posted on 16 August 2015 @ 23:44edited 23:45 30s
Jason, I hope you mean 10.2.002 with respect to services.
I gues you do.
Jason
Developer

806 posts

Posted on 16 August 2015 @ 23:45
Indeed I did. Thanks for correcting me. :-)
Jason
Developer

806 posts

Posted on 20 August 2015 @ 23:05
All services now available for all system images:

So all 001 and 002 builds available - including services. The 003 builds have started.

The recommended system version is 10.2.002. You can track the recommend version on the top-right corner of this website. If you are unsure which version to choose, then stick with the recommended version please!
Kriss
User

142 posts

Posted on 26 August 2015 @ 16:24edited 16:26 38s
Hey devs, I recently noticed there are lots of system images available. Don't you think it's a little to much? Which makes things confusing.

Also what's the difference between all these versions, like .002 and the new .003 ? In previous web interface it was possible to look at release notes.

broken image

Don't get me wrong. Choice is good, but I think this is a little to much.
inSane
User

9 posts

Posted on 26 August 2015 @ 17:14
Choice is great, but for a novice to BSD the difference between Stable/Release/Current is a first major hoop to jump through.
Last Page

Valid XHTML 1.1