Latest interface: 0.3.1
Latest system: 010
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Jason
Developer

806 posts

Posted on 29 July 2015 @ 16:50edited 11 August 2015 @ 15:08
Dear ZFSguru users,

After a very long journey of hard work and extended deadlines, I am finally ready to announce
ZFSguru version 0.3. The release date will be the 1st of August, 2015. The actual availability of the CD and USB images may vary slightly.

I am still struggling to reach this deadline, as I have made many incompatible changes to the web-interface close to the deadline and some issues still need to be resolved. You can track my progress below if you like, I will try to keep it updated regularly.

A much longer document that I'm in the process of writing - the State of the Project 2015 - contains many details about the new ZFSguru version. It should become available the next few days.

I would like to use this opportunity to temper your expectations a bit. Please take heed of these two warnings:

Warning #1: once ZFSguru 0.3 is released, do not upgrade your production systems right away. Due to the long development track, this should be considered as a _MAJOR_ update and on top of that much code has not seen exposure to 'the wild' yet. Consider yourself an early adopter in the first few weeks of the 0.3 release. Users who have a system running perfectly for many months or years should consider keeping what they have. Don't fix something that ain't broken. :-)

Warning #2: you cannot upgrade from 0.2 to 0.3. This means you will need to boot the LiveCD or USB image containing version 0.3 and boot your system with it. You can then import your pools and perform an installation on those pools. No data will be overwritten, but all settings will revert to default and you will need to reconfigure the system to your preferences. Advanced users can mount their older installation filesystem and copy the relevant configuration files from the older installation. In the future the Migration Manager functionality will take care of this, and more.

Thanks for being so patient and I hope you will like the upcoming releases. :-)

Cheers,
Jason

Countdown item list to 0.3 pre-release

-start official build 10.0.001 - done
    -start official build 10.1.001 - done
    -start official build 10.2.001 - done
    -start official build 10.3.001 - done
    -start official build 11.0.001 - done
    -Finalise GuruDB - done
    -Final test of LiveCD - done
    -Final test of USB image - done
    -Web-interface tasks - done
    o) fix important label bug - done
    o) fix Samba user bug - postponed
    o) late-changes to Bulletin display - done
    o) late-changes to Service pages - done
    o) review final modifications - done
    o) strip unreleased features - done
    -Release Pre-Release USB image - done

Countdown item list to final 0.3 release

-Release 'State of the Project 2015' document
    -Fix bugs discovered in Pre-Release (list to be expanded)
    -Branch web-interface version to stable branch
    -Test and upload final services
    -Produce final LiveCD and USB images
    -Upload to server
    -Make available through web-site
    -Official release announcement
Jason
Developer

806 posts

Posted on 1 August 2015 @ 14:29
Yes I am still working on it... it will be tonight or a bit later still.

But I am making progress, only the 11.0.001 build is being stubborn - need to upgrade my build environment which I am doing right now.
yamahabest
User

45 posts

Posted on 1 August 2015 @ 16:26
OK, sounds good.
Jason
Developer

806 posts

Posted on 1 August 2015 @ 18:31
New build environment is up and running, and the build for 11.0.001 has started.
Jason
Developer

806 posts

Posted on 2 August 2015 @ 16:09
All official builds have finished, so now comes the fun part. :-)
Qui
User

55 posts

Posted on 3 August 2015 @ 08:43
Great =D
yamahabest
User

45 posts

Posted on 3 August 2015 @ 23:39
How are you progressing?
Jason
Developer

806 posts

Posted on 4 August 2015 @ 21:11edited 21:13 10s
Well, I'm doing my late testing. Unfortunately, some bugs cropped up. This is totally expected, but at least one bug which messes up disk labels, is taking some time to address. It does not appear to be a bug in ZFSguru, but rather in the underlying operating system (BSD) itself. I hope to find a workaround, because I don't want to release like this.

As usual always things pop up when you think you are done. I will continue to update the countdown list and hope to provide good news.

I was also thinking, would any of you appreciate a very early USB image with the new system image but without the web-interface? This is possible on the short term. But you will not be able to use the 0.2 ZFSguru web-interface. It is possible to manually install the web-interface version 0.3 on it when available, but without web-interface you also cannot perform an installation on your pool. So I doubt how useful such a pre-release would be.

I hope the release will not take more than a day or two, though. I cannot afford to lose too much time now. If there is no option, I will release with some bugs being present. But that does have a negative impact on the glory of the new release.
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 4 August 2015 @ 22:12
What about the label patch? Perhaps we can use it for 0.3?
Jason
Developer

806 posts

Posted on 6 August 2015 @ 12:57
I prefer not to use those workarounds, not to confuse the compatibility marker.

I might need one more day to finish up the pre-release, so ZFSguru 0.3 will be available with one week delay.
yamahabest
User

45 posts

Posted on 7 August 2015 @ 13:11
I think you mean with one week delay with regards to the original release date of 01-08-2015?

Have you been able to fix the disk labels issue?
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 7 August 2015 @ 16:18
I think he means today. :)
Jason
Developer

806 posts

Posted on 7 August 2015 @ 20:26
Yes, although I am not sure whether I will be able to release tonight. But the label bug is fixed and the work continues to release. I am still reviewing the web-interface for further bugs and proper functioning of both new and existing functionality. Once this is complete, I can continue to the final phase of the release process.

Stay tuned! :-)
Jason
Developer

806 posts

Posted on 8 August 2015 @ 12:39edited 12:39 49s
Ok the important bugs are fixed, now it is time to strip the web-interface.

This means that the first pre-release may be tonight.
Qui
User

55 posts

Posted on 8 August 2015 @ 22:56
Sweet!
Jason
Developer

806 posts

Posted on 10 August 2015 @ 12:09
Lost some time due to family obligations in the weekend; resuming my work!

And the cursor keys of my keyboard broke down; which is very annoying because I use them regularly for coding. So now I'm on a very old keyboard. But that will not deter me from finishing ZFSguru. :-)
Jason
Developer

806 posts

Posted on 10 August 2015 @ 21:40
Made some good progress today.

Only testing and finalization tasks remain before I can publish a 0.3 Pre-Release USB image. Early adopters will be able to use it and provide feedback, before I release the 0.3 final some 5 days later I hope.
alj
User

13 posts

Posted on 11 August 2015 @ 13:12
Will it be possible to updated to the RC from the pre realise once it comes out? Or will we have to reinstall ?
Jason
Developer

806 posts

Posted on 11 August 2015 @ 13:53
Yes. Once you run the pre-release of 0.3, you will be running the new platform. The system image will be official and will continue to be supported. Only the web-interface will not be final, but you can update it to the final 0.3 version when available. This can be done with one simple mouseclick on the System->Update page.

The only danger of using the pre-release version is that there may be regressions - functionality that worked in 0.2 but stopped working in 0.3. That is why I do not recommend production systems from upgrading right away, but rather wait for the early adopters to find common bugs and give me some time to fix them.

In addition, addons - called Services in ZFSguru jargon - will be available after I have performed additional testing on them. The pre-release will not have any Services available for download. But once available, you can use the same installation to install services - no need to re-install.

So if your question is whether you can use the pre-release as real installation without having to re-install, then I can confirm that you can simply update the pre-release to the final 0.3 version with one mouse click, and install services when they become available. You do not need to re-install when the 0.3 final comes out.
Jason
Developer

806 posts

Posted on 11 August 2015 @ 15:05edited 15:07 40s
PRE RELEASE AVAILABLE!

Download here: ZFSguru-USB-10.2.001-amd64-PRERELEASE.img.bz2

This is a compressed USB disk image. Windows users can use RaWrite32 to write the file to a USB stick properly - other image solutions may not work due to the BZIP2 compression.

Windows users can download RaWrite32 over here: http://www.netbsd.org/~martin/rawrite32/download.html(ext)

Linux/BSD users can decompress the .bz2 image and then use a dd-command to write the .img to USB stick. A raw device node has to be used; it will not work when written to a partition on a USB stick.
alj
User

13 posts

Posted on 11 August 2015 @ 17:01
i will do what i can to test it for you

Jason
Developer

806 posts

Posted on 13 August 2015 @ 20:25
Any feedback? Does it work as expected?

I made some good progress today and my colleague CiPHER finished the services already. So this means I can start uploading all stuff to the server. However, I would like to bundle the final version of ZFSguru 0.3 with all USB and LiveCD images. So more feedback about the web-interface is appreciated, before I put the whole thing online.

Remember: the USB Preview can be used to update to the final 0.3 very easily with one mouseclick. Don't be shy to try. :-)

Also let me know if anyone needs help with creating the USB stick with the RaWrite32 application.
Robert
User

10 posts

Posted on 13 August 2015 @ 20:44
I wrote the image to a usb key using RaWrite32 and tried to boot it, but all i get is "operating System not found".
I tried 2 different usb keys with the same results.
Robert
User

10 posts

Posted on 13 August 2015 @ 20:51
2 dead usb keys now, can't read them anymore. Do you know the software for fixing corrupted usb keys. Windows won't let me repartition them now.
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 13 August 2015 @ 20:52edited 20:52 55s
Did you try using the F11/F12 Boot Menu option and select your USB stick?

The new USB stick can boot with both MBR and UEFI. Can you try both?

It is also possible the USB stick is not written correctly, but if you use RaWrite32 this should not happen. Other image writers do not support the .bz2 format.

When you load the USB image, can you copy/paste what checksums it generates such as SHA512? I can compare them with my test environment to try to find the culprit.
Next Page »

Valid XHTML 1.1