Latest interface: 0.3.1
Latest system: 010
pman
User

4 posts

Posted on 15 May 2015 @ 10:16edited 10:19 27s
good morning everyone,

first of all many thanks for the great work to bring up an actual system possible to use by normal users like me :-)

I am in zfsguru only around two days. I played around with nas4free the last 6 months with growing frustration (after all i tried to establish PEFS there with no chance).

Ok, i have two issues:

1. i really miss a seperate vdev management. The integration in the pool-management is a little bit confuse for me because vdevs are paticular objects. One reason for example: using the zpool attach command like Constantin Gonzalez do (see Conclusion and a Bonus Strategy) is not possible and if it would be it is not clearly seperated because it has nothing to do with the pool-features itself. Second idea: maybe the time will come we are able to remove a complete vdev from a pool similar to the ZIL-case. The poor vdev lost in space :-).

2. i got bad experience with zpool-attach:
I am using a root-on-zfs installation in a vmware. after creating a trible-mirror with the zpool-attach command as described by Constantin the zpool-status command shows me everything is fine. But the disks-tab shows me an unpartitioned third disk. I tried it a second time creating a gpt partition scheme at first on the third disk and after doing zpool-attach the status command says erverything is ok but the disks page shows me again an unpartitioned disk - the gpt partition is gone. And yes updating the bootcode fails.

Maybe i do something wrong or think about things which are not possible.

greetings pman
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 15 May 2015 @ 14:27
Hi pman!

Nice to hear you like ZFSguru! Now concerning your issues:

1) The pools page deals with commands related with 'zpool' command. The filesystems page deals with commands related with 'zfs' command. So ZFSguru follows the conventions in ZFS itself. vdev management goes via the zpool command, thus it can be found on the Pools page. You can also do vdev functions there. Like transforming a single disk to a mirror, or removing a disk from a mirror and letting it become a normal single disk (RAID0-like) again.

2) Is any pool using the bare disk? If so, the partitions will be hidden, because the underlying device is in use. That is an operating system feature, not a feature specific to ZFSguru.

ZFSguru only allows you to create pools on GPT partitions with a label name that you assigned yourself. But ZFSguru does accept pools created on the shell or on another system. But then you can get into issues.

For example, can you show me the output of 'zpool status' on the shell/command line?
pman
User

4 posts

Posted on 15 May 2015 @ 16:58edited 17:03 26s
thaks for fast answer,

for
2) no pool using the bare disk. i removed and created new ones with vmware and trying it after reeboot.

here are the output with only two mirrored disks:

zfsguru.bsd$ zpool status zp1
pool: zp1
state: ONLINE
scan: resilvered 850M in 0h0m with 0 errors on Fri May 15 09:02:56 2015
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
zp1 ONLINE 0 0 0
mirror-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
gpt/zp1-disk2 ONLINE 0 0 0
gpt/zp1-disk1 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

After formatting da4 with GEOM label name seven and

zpool attach zp1 gpt/zp1-disk1 dev/da4

console says waiting for resilver and gave me this:

scan: resilvered 850M in 0h0m with 0 errors on Fri May 15 16:51:39 2015
config:

zp1 ONLINE 0 0 0
mirror-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
da4 ONLINE 0 0 0

Disks tab shows me an unpartitioned disk without a geom label name.
(Hu don't know what's up with the timestamp. I did this all in the last minutes)

pman
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 18 May 2015 @ 16:21
Yes, after you did

After formatting da4 with GEOM label name seven and

zpool attach zp1 gpt/zp1-disk1 dev/da4

console says waiting for resilver and gave me this:

The bare device (da4) is in use. This means all other GEOM modules that are stacked on-top of da4, will disappear. So no more da4p1 and da4p2. You should never do this!

Instead, you should use either GPT partitions or GEOM labels. You said you assigned GEOM label 'seven' but then you need to use this label instead of the bare disk! So:

zpool attach zp1 gpt/zp1-disk1 label/seven

Now, the zpool status output would read 'label/seven' instead of 'da4'. I strongly recommend never to use raw disk nodes! Using GPT partitions with names you assign is the ZFSguru recommended way. But GEOM labels will work just fine, only not bootable. And you cannot do encryption and other cool things afterwards. GPT partitioning reserves space at the end, to make that happen. Just a thought. :)
pman
User

4 posts

Posted on 18 May 2015 @ 17:22
Hi,

after initial as GPT and formatting with GPT with name "nxt" i got this on console:

first try:
zpool attach zp1 gpt/zp1-disk1 nxt
cannot open 'nxt': no such GEOM provider
must be full path or shorthand device name

second try:
zpool attach zp1 gpt/zp1-disk1 label/nxt
cannot open 'label/nxt': no such GEOM ...

third try:
zpool attach zp1 gpt/zp1-disk1 /dev/da2
Make sure to wait until resilver is done before rebooting

and:

scan: resilvered 850M in 0h0m with 0 errors on Mon May 18 17:09:06 2015
config:

zp1 ONLINE 0 0 0
mirror-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
da2 ONLINE 0 0 0

but:
Disks tab shows me an unpartitioned da2 without a GPT name.

I do something wrong, right???

pman
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 18 May 2015 @ 19:14
The label will be gone whenever the device is in use, like /dev/da2 is at the moment.

So you need to remove disk da2 from the pool first:

zpool detach zp1 da2

Then you should see the label:

glabel status
ls -l /dev/label/

And then you can use the command:

zpool attach zp1 gpt/zp1-disk1 label/seven
Last Page

Valid XHTML 1.1