Latest interface: 0.3.1
Latest system: 010
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 5 April 2015 @ 22:59edited 22:59 41s
Just some teaser pictures to get you guys entertained, until Jason is ready.

New 1-2-3 Install procedure

broken image

Gnome 3 desktop

broken image
Hagabard
User

4 posts

Posted on 7 April 2015 @ 01:32
Will we be able to test migration coming from system 10.1-002/beta10? Or will only new installs/version 0.3 going forward migrate?

Not having to reinstall/configure supported "services" (owncloud, plex, and virtualbox for me...) would be ideal.

I've run into a few issues on my current test install, would be interesting to see if they persist with the new version or not. (I do not currently have zfsguru in production yet. I've been waiting for this version to change that.)

Looking forward to the release.
cook_wjc
User

9 posts

Posted on 7 April 2015 @ 01:42
::biting nails/edge-of-seat/hovering-over-upgrade-button::
Can we get a 10-count?
10......9.....8.....7.....6.....5......4.........3................2.......................1-more-month and we'll try again....
karmantyu
User

131 posts

Posted on 7 April 2015 @ 11:47
Nice pictures CiPHER. A fourth option would be useful for some people. A combination of "root on RAM" and "root on Media" let's call it "root on USB" would be nice. :)

(I mean reduced write on medium, use RAM for logs etc.)
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 7 April 2015 @ 15:08
Root on RAM and Root on Media can both be used on USB sticks - including other flash like MMC and SD-card.

Root on ZFS -> what ZFSguru is using now; changes are written directly to the pool

Root on RAM -> comparable to what the LiveCD uses; the system image is extracted and run from RAM memory. Changes are written to RAM memory. Only changed referenced by the migration pack (coming in future release) will survive a reboot.

Root on Media -> the same as Root on RAM but stores the system image on the mounted media (USB stick) instead. This means the media must remain mounted and any read error from the medium probably will crash the operating system. But this does allow using ZFSguru on very low RAM systems under 1 gigabyte. Think about Raspberry Pi and AMD Geode LX.
hsn
User

15 posts

Posted on 8 April 2015 @ 15:54edited 20 April 2015 @ 20:50
>> Root on Media
Can we have OS install on a separate SSD (or Raid-1 SSD) separate from data disks (similar to any other OS install)? So, even if you remove all the data disks, the system should boot just fine.

>>Think about Raspberry Pi and AMD Geode LX.
AMD Geode LX is around 500MHz, correct? Is that the one you are referring to?

roodhoedje
User

9 posts

Posted on 18 April 2015 @ 09:15
Nice to see the updates :). What's the expected month that we'll see a new update (experimental or stable)?
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 18 April 2015 @ 20:27
@hsn: Yes, you can have the boot pool totally cut off from the data pool, if that is what you want. But you can also partition your disks so you create multiple pools. For example, if you have 5 disks you want to configure in RAID-Z, you can use a small 10 or 20GB partition on each of the disk for a separate boot pool. Other platforms such as FreeNAS do not allow a disk to be used for both system/boot and data alike. ZFSguru basically gives you all possible combinations and configurations you would like.

The AMD Geode LX is a single-core 32-bit x86 processor running at 500MHz. Much like ARM-chips, they consume up to 1 watt or something. At the wall socket i get 2.2 - 2.5 watts without any USB devices attached. With USB Ethernet, it increased to 4 watts.

@roodhoedje: 'soon' :) It is almost ready, but there were some small setbacks, so probably it will be May instead of April. Jason will announce his plans when he is ready to do so.
hsn
User

15 posts

Posted on 20 April 2015 @ 21:03edited 21 April 2015 @ 15:39
>The AMD Geode LX is a single-core 32-bit x86 processor running at 500MHz. Much like ARM-chips, they consume up to 1 watt or something. At the wall socket i get 2.2 - 2.5 watts without any USB devices attached. With USB Ethernet, it increased to 4 watts.

I still have my old Geode LX, may be this can be a fun project! Mine has one regular size PCI slot also.

I was under the impression that ZFS is memory intensive! What kind of performance can you expect from AMD Geode LX or even a RPi? Just curious!

Edit: I saw this: http://raspberry-python.blogspot.com/2012/10/zfs-file-system-on-raspberry-pi.html
says: the performance is around 10MB/s on RPi (that's almost maxing out 100mbps). Pretty cool!

roodhoedje
User

9 posts

Posted on 29 April 2015 @ 11:20
@roodhoedje: 'soon' :) It is almost ready, but there were some small setbacks, so probably it will be May instead of April. Jason will announce his plans when he is ready to do so.
Great gives me some time to see if Samsung can fix the performance issues on the evo drives (I have two of these ready for an upgrade). Considering the issues that people have with the new firmware released in April, additional time might be a good thing to wait out the reception of the other evo users.
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 18 May 2015 @ 16:24
Small update: major work on 0.3 done. Now some tasks remain:

- complete the transition to GuruDB of the Services pages
- do one last system image build
- populate servers with real GuruDB
- small bugfixes
- code cleanup
- final test
- release time!

Minimum time needed is one week.
Kriss
User

142 posts

Posted on 22 May 2015 @ 17:56
Good to read an update is in process. After using ZoL (ubuntu) for a while I'm now back to zfsguru, since I've bought myself a dedicated mediaplayer.

After the upcoming update, will it be possible for the community help maintain services?
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 22 May 2015 @ 19:58
Focus after the 0.3 release will be on the community infrastructure; so website/development/bugtracker, etc. That is a first step of what you say about maintaining services; but that is the long-term goal: have a maintainer-system like Wine's AppDB where you have a database of apps which community members can maintain themselves; update to new versions and fix issues etc.

After the websites, probably focus will be on the web-interface again. Migration manager and other features are long desired, such as Appleshare v3 panel rewrite, native iSCSI and network functionality are all high on the list.
DVD_Chef
User

119 posts

Posted on 22 May 2015 @ 23:01
Migration manager is top on my list of wanted items, so I can stay current and not have to re-setup all the services after every update.

Great work Jason and CiPHER, and keep this project moving forward.
axilotl
User

4 posts

Posted on 4 June 2015 @ 10:37edited 10:38 11s
Could we please get an update on where you guys are at? A blow by blow of remaining tasks as stated above would be awesome. I really need to install 11.0 ... with services.

Cheers
alj
User

13 posts

Posted on 17 June 2015 @ 12:25
Looking forward to this update :). Hopefully it will fix a few of the niggles i have been having with cache and benchmarks :)
yamahabest
User

45 posts

Posted on 17 July 2015 @ 09:53
Would it be possible to provide an update?
Jason
Developer

806 posts

Posted on 17 July 2015 @ 13:24
Yes. ZFSguru 0.3 will be released on the 1st of August. But it probably will be available a few days before the release date. If you're eager, you could check daily in about a week or so.

I will also post an announcement very soon.
alj
User

13 posts

Posted on 20 July 2015 @ 13:40
Ooo awesome . I have just backed up my nas and was going to do a fresh install to try to fix http://zfsguru.com/forum/zfsgurusupport/959 but i may as well wait now thanks !

yamahabest
User

45 posts

Posted on 24 July 2015 @ 19:26
Whilst I have not yet seen the announcement, I will be checking daily from now.
Jason
Developer

806 posts

Posted on 29 July 2015 @ 17:05edited 17:05 40s
I'm afraid to inform you it will not be until the 31st and probably the 1st when I have the USB or LiveCD images ready. This is due to many changes to the web-interface that still require some work to function properly. So the system images might be ready, but the web-interface is not. CD and USB images depend on both.

You can track the list in the ZFSguru 0.3 countdown thread - it should provide a reasonable indication of the progress towards 0.3.
Last Page

Valid XHTML 1.1