Latest interface: 0.3.1
Latest system: 010
ShaRose
User

18 posts

Posted on 28 August 2015 @ 06:23
Hi, I recently managed to set up snapshots with previous versions as I wanted, and I thought that it might make an awesome service for ZFSGuru. The package in question does automatic snapshots of ZFS pools, and can optionally also use ZFS send to other locations as a backup, but even just for local snapshot maintenance it's awesome because unlike zfs-auto-snapshot it doesn't prepend what 'type' of snapshot it is: it figures out what snapshots it should keep from the times. This allows for things like telling it to keep a snapshot every 5 minutes for a day, and then every 30 minutes for a week, while still having snapshots like 'tank@2015-08-28_01-00-00'.

This also makes it easy to set up VFS_Shadow_Copy2 in samba. All I need to do is add a few lines to the end of any share's definition (I currently have to do this over ssh, it seems ZFSGuru clobbers any settings it doesn't know about at the moment, which is a separate issue), and windows will happily see previous versions as snapshots after restarting samba. For the record, the lines for my setup are:

vfs objects = shadow_copy2
shadow: localtime = yes
shadow: snapdir = .zfs/snapshot
shadow: sort = desc
shadow: format = %Y-%m-%d_%H-%M-%S

The tsformat for znapzend is %Y-%m-%d_%H-%M-%S as well, and so to show it:

http://i.ShaRo.se/2NrEm.png

I can open folders and file history, and copy them in addition to just opening them up. I admittedly might have some other config in here forgotten (I had been messing with this for a while until I found znapzend), but if you can get this working with a UI it'll be a REALLY handy feature, and ZFSGuru is already looking for automatic snapshots, so having a ready-made solution would be easy to implement.

Oh, and I almost forgot, https://github.com/oetiker/znapzend/

CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 9 September 2015 @ 01:20
Thanks ShaRose!

I still need to take a look at this.... But your input is much appreciated!
Last Page

Valid XHTML 1.1