Latest interface: 0.3.1
Latest system: 010
chuzzwassa
User

19 posts

Posted on 20 August 2015 @ 12:21
Why would rsync require a graphical desktop environment?

I *really* do not want to download 122MiB of X server, then another 164MiB of Gnome just to run a command line utility.

Pretty sure this was not the case in older ZFSGuru's.

Latest interface: 0.3.0
Latest system: 10.2.002
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 20 August 2015 @ 12:36edited 12:36 15s
It includes the grsync graphical application. If you only want rsync, you better use pkg for now:

pkg install rsync

Since this is a command line application, maybe Jason thinks no separate service should exist. But it is possible to create a non graphical service for rsync. But probably it needs a panel interface for people to work with it. Without such a panel interface, it remains a command line application. And for people working on the command line, the above command is probably not all that bad and actually faster than installing a ZFSguru service.
Jason
Developer

806 posts

Posted on 20 August 2015 @ 23:01
Yes, I thought about integrating rsync directly in the web-interface. For now, the service might actually be usable to novice people since the graphical application (grsync) allows them to learn rsync without reverting to the command line with its steep learning curve.

It is assumed that people like yourself who use rsync on the command line, would be knowledgeable enough to install it themselves. With the 'pkg' command this is really easy, as CiPHER demonstrated.

But I am open for suggestions; should there be a regular (non-X) rsync service?
yabsevenh
User

17 posts

Posted on 21 August 2015 @ 02:06
I would appreciate a nonX rsync service very much, I have no intention of installing gnome, but would like a convenient service for making backups, and rsync is great.
Hakker
User

76 posts

Posted on 21 August 2015 @ 15:06
why not make it so that the service checks if gnome is installed if so then add grsync else just install rsync.
hgeorgescu
User

41 posts

Posted on 20 September 2015 @ 14:43
+1
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 20 September 2015 @ 14:49
@Hakker: it does not work that way. The DEPEND file will make it depend on Gnome. There is no mechanism to do what you want. Splitting the service makes more sense.
Marcelluz
User

14 posts

Posted on 7 January 2016 @ 18:14edited 23:21 36s
I am looking for this functionality, too. It is in my opinion a little weird when controlling your server through the web interface you need to install gnome. In that case one could just use remote desktop to control the server, right? Correct me if I am wrong, but when one installs the command line rsync on the server side, one could simply control it from the client side with a GUI on rsync there? If that's not the case, is configuration of the server side rsync difficult? When I need to change permissions through the terminal it would be too difficult for me, I fear... If someone has it working I kindly ask to share the knowledge, though. Also, integrating the rsync command-line version in the web GUI would be very useful I think!
Last Page

Valid XHTML 1.1