Latest interface: 0.3.1
Latest system: 010
blimpyboy
User

24 posts

Posted on 14 January 2017 @ 21:07
I've just completed a fresh intall of ZFSGuru using current 10.2.003 LiveCD. All went well and just needed to install rsync which I've done many times before on older ZFSGuru versions. However, this then happens:

[root@zfsguru /etc]# uname -a
FreeBSD zfsguru 10.2-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 10.2-RELEASE-p1 #0 r287022: Sat Aug 22 09:34:56 UTC 2015 jason@zfsguru.com:/ZFSguru/src/sys/OFED-POLLING-ALTQ amd64
[root@zfsguru /etc]#
[root@zfsguru /etc]# pkg install rsync
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
All repositories are up-to-date.
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
The following 2 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

New packages to be INSTALLED:
rsync: 3.1.2_6
libiconv: 1.14_10

Number of packages to be installed: 2

The process will require 3 MiB more space.

Proceed with this action? [y/N]: y
[1/2] Installing libiconv-1.14_10...
[1/2] Extracting libiconv-1.14_10: 0%/usr/local/lib/libpkg.so.3: Undefined symbol "utimensat"
[root@zfsguru /etc]#

Anyone any idea what's wrong?

Thanks in advance for any light you might be able to shed on this one.
Blimpyboy
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 14 January 2017 @ 23:36edited 23:39 08s
Could you try a more modern system version? As 10.2.003 is rather old.

The LiveCD should really only be used just to boot. Then on the first step of the installation process (System->Install) you select the version you want to install, like 11.0.009 which i recommend at this time.

You can still do this. You have an existing installation '10.2.003' on your boot pool, but you can add as many as you want, it will only take up some disk space. The only catch is that you start over fresh and have to install new apps to your liking.

With 11.0 you have a much more modern system which is more suitable if you want to install pre-compiled packages using 'pkg'. If you wish to stay with 10.2, then i suggest compiling things from source instead.
blimpyboy
User

24 posts

Posted on 15 January 2017 @ 13:17
Cipher,

I started over from scratch and installed 11.0.009 as you advised and rsync installed perfectly - thanks for the tip. Happy to be on most recent FreeBSD 11 stable anyway!

Slightly off-topic, when I go to Disks->Formatting, 'Sector' is showing as 512. This is a new Dell T20 with two new Seagate drives so I expected everything to be 4K AF - am I missing something here?

Thanks
Blimpyboy
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 15 January 2017 @ 13:59
Yes it is confusing. It shows the OS-level sectorsize, which is 512 bytes since it is emulated. The physical sector size is hidden. It will show 4K when using GNOP or when using a harddrive that has 'native 4K' - thus without emulation.

But no worries, your pool will be optimized for 4K disks anyway when using ZFS.
Last Page

Valid XHTML 1.1