Latest interface: 0.3.1
Latest system: 010
stoe
User

7 posts

Posted on 22 February 2016 @ 00:27edited 00:28 34s
Hi forum
I have just recently updated my server from 9.2.001 with 0.2.0b8 to 10.2.006 with 0.3.1. Since then I haven't been able to access my time machine share. The service AppleShare is installed and set up. I know it's a WIP and "the panel web-interface for this service has not been tested yet, and will likely not work!"
As no access is possible with the service in 10.2.006, I'm unable to mount the time machine share and to perform my Mac's backups. Any shares accessed over smb are mountable, but no valid targets for time machine.
Has anyone gotten this to work under 10.2.006 or any other way to provide time machine with a valid share as target? I appreciate any feedback!
Thank you
Pete13_B
User

6 posts

Posted on 28 February 2016 @ 11:04
Hey Stoe,

When I was testing with the new versions, I also couldn't get it to work.
The last fully working version I found was version "LiveCD (old version) 10.1-001 0.2b9" on the website. The other versions from 10.0.001 to 11.0.006 don't have full support for appleshare as of now. I always get the error "zfsguru netatalk[734]: Failed to add service: _afpovertcp._tcp, error=-65563".
Everything seems to work on the zfsguru part, I just can't connect my mac.
I to would appreciate a sollution.
Yours sincerely, a Freebsd noob.
Thanks.
stoe
User

7 posts

Posted on 3 March 2016 @ 08:55edited 23:56 36s
Hi Pete

Thank you for your reply; I'm quite sure it's only an interface issue, but with better FreeBSD knowledge than I have I guess it should be possible to set up netatalk properly (not manageable through the service, though). I hoped someone had done this and could help me out with some input, but maybe mac users aren't that frequent amongst ZFSguru guys ;-)

Good luck and let us know if you find anything useful.

stoe (FreeBSD noob as well... but willing to learn)
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 3 March 2016 @ 14:30
I have AppleShare on the new ZFSguru working on a family member of mine. I still need to ask about his configuration files, so i can post it here. And also use it to rewrite the AppleShare code for the web-interface so it works out of the box.

The old AppleShare (netatalk version 2) has been removed from the new system image (ZFSguru 0.3) so only the new version 3 is available. This version has different configuration requirements so this is the reason it does not work yet. I hope to be able to fix it soon.
Pete13_B
User

6 posts

Posted on 3 March 2016 @ 16:15
Thanks for the reply Cipher, currently I'm using a portable disk attached to a router for now, but that's very slow and more importantly not ZFS.
So it would be very nice to see it work out of the box. But a workaround would be nice to for now.
Hope to hear from you.
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 3 March 2016 @ 17:01
Yes i will try to give you guys a workaround. It would involve logging in with SSH (explained on Access->SSH page) and editing some configuration files. Not that difficult and the skills will add to your UNIX learning experience.

Sometime later i want to create a working panel web-interface for AppleShare that works out of the box.
stoe
User

7 posts

Posted on 3 March 2016 @ 23:55edited 4 March 2016 @ 14:19
Good to see your attention, CiPHER. And many thanks for your and Jason's work, btw.
I'm quite used to the cli, but not with FreeBSD. I thought to maybe just give it a try and follow something like http://blog.khubla.com/freebsd/time-machine-backups-using-freebsd-zfs
Would be great if you could - more or less - confirm that I won't break my zfsguru server this way.
Cheers!

PS: let me know if I can support development in any way, even if I'm no developer...
Pete13_B
User

6 posts

Posted on 25 March 2016 @ 10:35
Hey CiPHER,

Did you have any time to take a look at the configuration files of the family members machine? It would help us greatly. Thanks.
stoe
User

7 posts

Posted on 28 April 2016 @ 15:13
Hi CiPHER

Any news on this topic?
Is there anything we could do to support you?

Cheers
stoe
Last Page

Valid XHTML 1.1