Latest interface: 0.3.1
Latest system: 010
hgeorgescu
User

41 posts

Posted on 20 September 2015 @ 14:34edited 14:36 31s
Hinted at this in another post:
I'm not sure what is supposed to happen once one installs X, gnome, nvidia etc.

What is supposed to be included in the installation script, and what needs to be done manually?
Will the console offer a graphical interface after reboot?

If not, do I just switch to tty1, and start the desktop with startx?
I noticed no .xinitrc is placed in the root directory after install.

Please shed some light...

Btw.. my card is a Asus GT630-SL-2GD3-L hopefully it is supported! Can you confirm?
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00D6KOU66/ref=pe_386430_121528420_TE_dp_1

Alternatively I have one of these ASUS Radeon HD 6450, but I don't think it is well supported.

Thank you,
hg
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 20 September 2015 @ 14:53edited 14:53 33s
It should automatically boot into a graphical desktop AFTER you reboot. Provided that the Gnome service is set to automatically start, which can be toggled on or off.

After booting, you will see the traditional ZFSguru menu with blue background for a couple of seconds. Then it should boot into the Gnome desktop.

If it doesn't, that means something is wrong. It could indeed be your graphics card. Not sure if your GeForce card id supported, but your Radeon HD 6450 should work out of the box.

Here you can find all supported cards: https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 20 September 2015 @ 14:54
You can try this however:

Press alt+F2 to get a real shell and login as root. Now try to start Gnome by simply executing:

gdm
hgeorgescu
User

41 posts

Posted on 20 September 2015 @ 15:06
ok. great! thank you!
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 21 September 2015 @ 03:20
Since you still have problems with X, can you tell me what kind of message you get when executing gdm manually, as described in my previous message? Any errors?

Also, for nVidia graphics cards you need the nVidia service installed to provide the closed-source binary drivers provided by nVidia itself. Those provide true optimal performance and hardware acceleration and all that - if they work anyway. :)

Also, keep in mind that the graphics functionality has not been tested well at all. It works here in Virtualbox and on my Ivy Bridge system, but there could still be issues with it. Consider it experimental.

That said, with your hardware it should work. So let's try to figure out why it isn't working for you. Starting gdm manually as described would be a first step to see if it gives you any errors.
hgeorgescu
User

41 posts

Posted on 21 September 2015 @ 16:42
Thank you, Cipher. During the week it is a challenge... I'm only able to do testing during the weekend, but let's see if the current logs might be useful. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yoaqaxiv3eimq06/AAA5heb87YKlXaon6ok-1eIMa?dl=0
In Sep 20-21-2015 folder.

On the console, typing gdm came back with something like "command not found" or file not found. Either by the shell or gdm itself. I'mm not at the server console at the moment.

In fact gdm started at some point - not sure anymore of the sequence of events, though. The graphical screen came up, with a small window in the middle, saying that it didn't start well, and I should logout. pressing the logout button, closed the graphical window.

X also is coming up (barebones) with a couple of xterms, and a clock. no app menu whatsoever. That is if I type in startx in the second terminal.
Thank you again for your insight.

Hg

hgeorgescu
User

41 posts

Posted on 24 September 2015 @ 20:40
Hello Cipher - did you have any chance to check the logs I've posted in dropbox?
Thank you,
Hakker
User

77 posts

Posted on 24 September 2015 @ 20:46
just a heads up in here from me as I have the exact same issue as explaned here
http://zfsguru.com/forum/zfsgurusupport/1028
although for me the window spans the entire screen but the error is the same.
hgeorgescu
User

41 posts

Posted on 25 September 2015 @ 03:16
It's a bit of a struggle to get all things working... increasing mental endurance in the process :)
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 25 September 2015 @ 16:56
I can only look at this tomorrow i'm afraid.
Last Page

Valid XHTML 1.1