Latest interface: 0.3.1
Latest system: 010
hgeorgescu
User

41 posts

Posted on 20 September 2015 @ 13:42edited 13:44 31s
Hi,
hopefully you can check the services download pointers at your earliest... Thank you!

Struggled last night to get X and Gnome started (only to get to nut), but Gnome kept complaining, and failed. I'm not sure what is the degree of customization required once it is downloaded and installed. perhaps there are some instructions somewhere, but I couldn't find them. X config files don't seem to be where the FreeBSD would install them by default (if I read their X setup in FBSD manual correctly). Would be helpful if nut installation would be separated from the graphical interface.

Nevertheless, this morning I decided to give X and Gnome another try, and just saw the news that 10.2.003 had gnome problems; I went ahead with downloading then 10.2.004. It came down perfectly, installed on my root mirror and booted just fine. Had to import my second pool though, but that also was only a two clicks away. Done.

So since i have to start from scratch with service installation, please check /fix the download folders as soon as you can. I tried shell, and nut, and the error is the same.
Thank you for your help!
hg
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 20 September 2015 @ 14:09
Fixed, please try again!

nut service requires X because of the graphical front-end Knutclient, which is a KDE application. It requires many dependencies, but does allow for nut to be easily setup. Once setup, you may not need the front-end any longer and thus the entire Gnome desktop as well.

nut itself is a shell application not requiring X. Perhaps i should split nut and knutclient into two different service addons. Then you can use shell configuration if you want nut without having to install X, and if you want the easy frontend you have to install both, but then the Gnome desktop as well. Would that be a better solution?
hgeorgescu
User

41 posts

Posted on 20 September 2015 @ 14:22edited 14:40 39s
Hi Cipher, You are fast!
Thank you!
Yes, if you'd split nut into bare-bones utility, and optional graphical interface, would be better for me. I can config it manually, no problem.

Btw, the same would apply to rsync - it should not require gnome, right?
Thank you
hg
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 20 September 2015 @ 14:49
Yes, rsync has grsync front-end. Same story. I will split them both. Should be there next build (005).
sweex
User

9 posts

Posted on 23 September 2015 @ 23:34edited 24 September 2015 @ 00:06
I'm having the same error message as the hgeorgescu (the download net X and Gnome)
Edit: Seems like it might be a general problem with your servers since I can't download any service either...
Last Page

Valid XHTML 1.1