Latest interface: 0.3.1
Latest system: 010
sweex
User

9 posts

Posted on 17 September 2015 @ 13:06
Hi,

I'm new to ZFSguru and I'm having some few (minor) problems, but I wanted to start with saying kudos to the developers. I have the impression you're just a small team but the OS seems like its well thought through!
I'm still waiting for the actual hardware on which I will install ZFSguru but I thought I would already try to get everything working on VirtualBox. I managed to get my main goals working (Backup server for both OS X and Windows) but I can't seem to get Gnome working.
I installed it (and the dependencies) and of course rebooted the system and I thought that it would boot in Gnome but it didn't. When I look at the services X-server and Gnome are both marked as stopped and I can't get them to start. Is this a specific problem linked to VirtualBox or...?
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 17 September 2015 @ 14:10
Hello Sweex,

Thanks for your compliment, it is much appreciated! Especially because on the Dutch forums they complain about everything and it seems like we (Jason and myself) can't do anything right. So your comment about it being 'well thought through' is something that i like to hear! :)

About your question:

Gnome is broken in 002 and 003 releases. 001 works, but upcoming 004 will as well. So i suggest you use the upcoming 004 build when it becomes available, which should be tomorrow.

A word of warning though: graphics is not the strong suit of BSD, the underlying operating system of ZFSguru. The best supported are Intel Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge, and some older AMD video cards. nVidia is also well supported by the proprietary closed-source drivers contained in the separate addon nVidia Drivers service addon. Work is still being done to support the latest of Intel integrated graphics, such as Haswell, and later Broadwell and Skylake. But no ETA on that. If you have a non supported graphics adapter, it will revert back to VESA which means that it should work, but rather slow and no 3D acceleration will be available.

Gnome should work just fine in Virtualbox. A little bit slow because no special driver for Virtualbox exists (yet) but at least you can see how it works. But it currently only works for 001 and the upcoming 004 build.
sweex
User

9 posts

Posted on 17 September 2015 @ 16:04
Ok as I said it wasn't a main concern but rather something I wanted to try while waiting on my motherboard. It looks like I'll only have to wait one day for that ;-)
But since we're talking about graphics: I was exploring the idea of also using the server as a media server, so basically installing Plex on it. I did this on the VirtualBox and but should I think of using something like Kodi instead (so let the player transcode the video instead of the server)?
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 17 September 2015 @ 16:19
Yes Kodi and UMS are supported as addons by ZFSguru. I do think you need graphics acceleration for Kodi though. So it depends on your hardware whether it is supported. If you have Intel Haswell (4000 series) or later, it may not work yet. But support for Haswell is being worked at, so it will be supported in the future.
Last Page

Valid XHTML 1.1