Latest interface: 0.3.1
Latest system: 010
Pages: 1 2
hsn
User

15 posts

Posted on 2 April 2015 @ 23:51
This whole exercise introduced me to FreeBSD which is good. Even though I am more comfortable with Linux, FreeBSD is not too hard with the help of Google. I have a feeling that the companies that use FreeBSD as the base for their products (including many storage solutions) are not giving any of their changes back to the community and that causes FreeBSD to grow much slower (than Linux).

I will still dabble with FreeBSD and if and when I feel more comfortable, I can certainly re-build my NAS.

Thanks for all your help!
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 3 April 2015 @ 01:07
BSD is more an academic operating system; it has its origins in that field. Linux is more business oriented, with many contributions from companies. BSD gets some sponsored work though; Netflix, Solarflare, Nginx, Mellanox, EMC and Citrix have recently donated to the codebase. Some features are sponsored either by the FreeBSD foundation or companies who want certain functionality in the tree.

The more liberal license has allowed it to utilise technologies like D-trace and ZFS. ZFS on Linux probably doesn't have a great future due to license reasons. Or rather: the requirement to sign off when contributing to the Linux kernel. That means that over time, Btrfs is going to be the filesystem of choice on Linux platforms. It is still far less mature than ZFS though.

The last option, ReFS is fully proprietary. So far, ZFS is the most free, the most available (cross-platform), the most advanced and the most mature third generation filesystem. That probably will not change for at least half a decade and probably longer.
« Previous Page Last Page

Valid XHTML 1.1