Latest interface: 0.3.1
Latest system: 010
Pages: 1 2
dearangelo
User

59 posts

Posted on 13 December 2014 @ 06:44
Hello, I spoke with CiPHER in some other posting about it, I did upgarde the bios firmware, I swaped things to different ports but have not been able to "stabilize" the system...
I even thought than a low voltage or some psu problem might be causing all this... but have not been able to pin point the source of it.
Here it is a path that usually things go, any ideas before I go out and buy things, and what to buy, CLUELESS!

http://prntscr.com/5g8wc0
reboot!
http://prntscr.com/5g8zrq
reboot!
http://prntscr.com/5g90y4

and this can last some hours...and fall back to loosing a drive or two again...

regards
angelo e
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 13 December 2014 @ 07:18
Hi,

I am suspecting your JMicron controller may be the curlpit.

What you can do to test this:

- swap the two drives on your chipset controller with the cables coming from your JMicron controller.
- if now you get disconnects on the other two drives, this suggests that JMicron is the problem

Have you already tried upgrading to 10.1-002? It may have a fix for the JMicron controller.

You can also try buying another controller. JMicron JMB363, Silicon Image SiI-3132 and some Marvell controllers might work decently. Other controllers are more expensive.

You can also consider upgrading your motherboard/CPU combination. For a low power system, i usually recommend this board:

ASRock Q1900DC-ITX

broken image

This board has:
- Intel J1900 quad core 10W TDP processor, very low power, SoC so no chipset
- passive cooling (huge heatsink as well)
- 4x SATA, two from SoC and other two from ASMedia ASM1061 chipset
- DC-DC power supply so all you need is a power brick, 80W or up. 12V will work.

But before you buy new hardware, try my suggestions and buying a cheap PCI-express x1 SATA controller with two ports might work well enough for you.

dearangelo
User

59 posts

Posted on 13 December 2014 @ 10:14
A big-O thank you for the tips, No matter what, I keep llosing drives and they are either connected onto the mobo or thru a PCIe to a Marvel 91xx

(
pass2 at ahcich7 bus 0 scbus7 target 0 lun 0
pass2: <Marvell 91xx Config 1.01> Removable Processor SCSI-0 device
pass2: Serial Number HKDP221516WL
pass2: 150.000MB/s transfers (SATA 1.x, UDMA4, ATAPI 12bytes, PIO 8192bytes)
Netvsc initializing... SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
SMP: AP CPU #2 Launched!
)
as it shows here..
and it only looses the 3TB HDDs not the little one I use for the system, a 2.5 160GB (overkill) just for the system...that one is always ok, it is single drive pool and it is a 28 protocol, not v5000 as I have turned the four big drives to...

so in conclusion, it is unrelated where the drives are hooked onto, there comes time that I loose one or two, and bu hard rebooting I get 'em back with some errors...

If you are suggesting a mobo, please suggest something with either 4-6 sata and a two pci e slots or one with 8 satas at least, and to be as energy efficient as possible... the size does not mnater, my bod is an old midi...
thankj you..
there is a big mobo with 12 satas by asrock, but it is a bit expensive... is there a size in between the one you suggested and the big one?
regards
angelo e
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 13 December 2014 @ 12:37
This is very strange:

pass2: <Marvell 91xx Config 1.01>

This would mean that you also have a Marvell controller in your system. These are also known to give problems, especially on older BSD versions.

Before you buy new hardware, please try 10.1-002 first.

Are you sure about your motherboard, the one you mentioned here? You are not using a PCI-express addon controller are you?

I can search for a cool board for you later...
dearangelo
User

59 posts

Posted on 13 December 2014 @ 13:27edited 13:45 42s
the motherboard is the asus AT5NM10, with 4GB RAM
and at the staus page of guru it says
" 64-bit quad core Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D525 @ 1.80GHz - Running at 1800 MHz ( scales from 225 MHz to 1800 MHz ) "

on it on a PCIe bus, I have a marvel expansion sata card.
to be precise, (88SE9128),

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-Express-MARVELL-88SE9128-SATA3-3-0-III-RAID-Card-/231378680773?pt=US_Drive_Cables_dapters&hash=item35df3e7bc5

No matter which combination I have used, since almost a year ago, I have had this problem. It occurs for no apparent reason to me...

I even updated the mobo bios, and still get those glitches..

I will follow your suggestion and get to the 10.1.002 and see what happens, I thank you much for giving me all that time... and attention
regards
angelo e

ps should I worry that it is an RC1 release?
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 13 December 2014 @ 13:39edited 13:39 56s
What if you do not use the Marvell controller? You have 4 harddrives?

My earlier suggestion was to find out whether you only have this problem on the addon controller; did you find out whether this only happens with the JMicron and/or Marvell controller? Because this would be my guess.

Then you know where the problem lies. Upgrading the system might help, choosing another controller might help as well.

Buying IBM M1015 controller and flashing it with IT-firmware would solve your problems, but its a bit pricey if you buy it new (second hand can be very cheap) and its not that power efficient. Buying new motherboard with better features would be my first choice if upgrading to newer system version doesn't help.

(nah the RC1 is fine, i ran it for some time)
dearangelo
User

59 posts

Posted on 13 December 2014 @ 13:48
CiPHER wrote: What if you do not use the Marvell controller? You have 4 harddrives?

My earlier suggestion was to find out whether you only have this problem on the addon controller; did you find out whether this only happens with the JMicron and/or Marvell controller? Because this would be my guess.

Then you know where the problem lies. Upgrading the system might help, choosing another controller might help as well.

Buying IBM M1015 controller and flashing it with IT-firmware would solve your problems, but its a bit pricey if you buy it new (second hand can be very cheap) and its not that power efficient. Buying new motherboard with better features would be my first choice if upgrading to newer system version doesn't help.

(nah the RC1 is fine, i ran it for some time)

SAME thing!!! as a fact I had stripped down to the bare minimum when I wrote to you the first time, that is why I did not mention it in the beginning, but I had the card only to hook the root HDD, then I did all sort of swaps .. still getting random loses...
dearangelo
User

59 posts

Posted on 13 December 2014 @ 13:53
dearangelo wrote: SAME thing!!! as a fact I had stripped down to the bare minimum when I wrote to you the first time, that is why I did not mention it in the beginning, but I had the card only to hook the root HDD, then I did all sort of swaps .. still getting random loses...

but my bus is pcie... should I go for an adaptor too or??? it gets too much...?
dearangelo
User

59 posts

Posted on 13 December 2014 @ 13:58
If I am to spend some 80 bucks for an add on card, I might as well get a new mobo with 8 ports of SATA..
I need to stick with energy efficient chipset and preferably same RAM to keep price tamed...
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 13 December 2014 @ 14:03
What do you mean with your last message? Is this a reply to the IBM M1015 that i mentioned? Because that controller is PCI-express 2.0 x8 and should work on your motherboard. It provides two Mini-SAS connectors that can connect up to 8 SATA harddrives. It does not support APM/AAM/TRIM however. But many people using ZFS use this controller. It works best if you cross-flash it with IT-firmware, as described here:

http://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/

With this controller you also need two Mini-SAS cables; make sure you buy the correct ones; and not the 'reverse breakout' cables. You need normal breakout cables.
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 13 December 2014 @ 14:03
Ok, want me to find a nice board for you then?
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 13 December 2014 @ 14:10
Supermicro X10SBA is Mini-ITX, J1900, passive cooling, DC-DC power and 6 SATA:
http://www.supermicro.nl/products/motherboard/celeron/X10/X10SBA.cfm

ASrock C2550D4I is Mini-ITX, Avoton, passive cooling and 12 SATA:
http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=C2550D4I#
(firmware update is required before it works well with FreeBSD)

ASRock E3C224D4I-14S
http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=E3C224D4I-14S#

broken image

This one has LSI controller onboard and the other 6 ports provided via Mini-SAS. So you have three Mini-SAS connectors for 12 harddrives + 2 normal SATA ports. Very well suited for a 10-disk RAID-Z2 + 2 SSDs.

The last two boards also support ECC UDIMM. The last two boards also support IPMI; which can control your video/mouse/keyboard from remote via network port. That does mean slightly higher idle power consumption, though. But should still be reasonably power efficient. The SuperMicro board is the most power efficient.
dearangelo
User

59 posts

Posted on 13 December 2014 @ 14:17
CiPHER wrote: What do you mean with your last message? Is this a reply to the IBM M1015 that i mentioned? Because that controller is PCI-express 2.0 x8 and should work on your motherboard. It provides two Mini-SAS connectors that can connect up to 8 SATA harddrives. It does not support APM/AAM/TRIM however. But many people using ZFS use this controller. It works best if you cross-flash it with IT-firmware, as described here:

http://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/

With this controller you also need two Mini-SAS cables; make sure you buy the correct ones; and not the 'reverse breakout' cables. You need normal breakout cables.

okokok, my mobo has a short PCI connector, that is my concern...
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 13 December 2014 @ 14:24
Your current motherboard has PCI-express, not PCI.

broken image

That is a physical PCI-express x4 slot with open end so it can fit x8 cards, but electrically it is x1 so works at 250MB/s speed. According to the Asus spec sheet anyway, which should be correct.
dearangelo
User

59 posts

Posted on 13 December 2014 @ 15:38
you are right, but from looking at the ibm cards I thought that I could not plug the em because of the size of the blue plug. I will look into it later, Now I have to fiddle a little to get the users and ip's of the new installed 10.1.002 ver to my specs... to fit with my settings...

I can not see tha status of the pools but it did add the older pool by itself, and also it seems it has the smb all configured the way the old one was!!! I need to se the users...

Great job, let us hope that will cooperate with my hardware...
Thank you once more
Angelo e
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 13 December 2014 @ 16:29
If i can see correctly, your motherboard has a PCI-express slot with an 'open end'. This means you can inset a larger card like the IBM M1015 in it. As long as it physically fits, it should work, albeit with lower performance because your slot only is 1 lane so 250MB/s max. 200MB/s in reality, shared with all disks!

Some people even use cutting tools to make a PCI-express x1 slot with an open end so they can insert bigger cards. As long as there are no obstructions, it will work. In some cases the motherboards have already done this, and have made sure no components obstruct the length of the PCI-express slot to allow for larger cards to be inserted.

In other words, probably IBM M1015 will fit your motherboard. It will work on lower speed, but it should work. You can take the card with you once you upgrade the hardware. IBM M1015 does have some disadvantages though, like its not very power efficient when idling. But if does provide relatively cheap 8 ports and it should work without problems on ZFSguru or other operating systems.

So you can see this as alternative to buying new motherboard.
dearangelo
User

59 posts

Posted on 13 December 2014 @ 16:37
you have been very helpful!!!I hope that the upgrade 10.1.002 will work and I will not have to result in buying either a card or a mobo.
So fat I am having trouble getting transmission to cooperate on the newq setup with old settings folders etc...
Take care and have a nice Saturday, it is getting alittle cold here in Athens... where are you located at btw?
regards
angelo e
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 13 December 2014 @ 17:08
The Netherlands here.. you know, that arrogant country that stripped Greece of its wealth. :D

Anyways, i enjoy hearing people using ZFSguru from all over the world! Especially from exotic countries like Japan, Vietnam, Iran and yes, even Saudi Arabia. The internet is just so cool that we can all interact together on this planet! <3
dearangelo
User

59 posts

Posted on 13 December 2014 @ 17:16
I can not get transmission to start no matter what!
this is what I hate about reinstalling and upgrading, I erased all I could find, installed it again, but it will not start...
I give up
dearangelo
User

59 posts

Posted on 13 December 2014 @ 18:38
CiPHER wrote: The Netherlands here.. you know, that arrogant country that stripped Greece of its wealth. :D

Anyways, i enjoy hearing people using ZFSguru from all over the world! Especially from exotic countries like Japan, Vietnam, Iran and yes, even Saudi Arabia. The internet is just so cool that we can all interact together on this planet! <3

I lived for a couple of months in Brussels in 2012, around this time of the year..
I like your countries, I wish I could pack and come hehehe... as for the money thing, there is so much misunderstanding that it is impossible to be explained... anyways
trully happy and greatfull for all the help you 've given me...

angelo e
architect

CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 13 December 2014 @ 22:17
Sorry to hear about Transmission. And yes, upgrading is not without risk. But unless you really deleted your old installation, ZFSguru has a neat feature where you can go back to your old installation by 'activating' it on the System->Booting tab. So ZFSguru allows you to have many installations all on the same pool. Only one can be active. Once you make another installation active, you can boot into that installation by rebooting.

I fear however that you have actually destroyed the whole pool you were booting from? That is unfortunate. Just know that in the future, you do not have to do this. Just perform an additional installation on the System->Install page while the system is running, no need for LiveCD or anything. Then if something does not work like Transmission and you want to go back to the old installation, simply click the Activate button on the System->Booting page and reboot; et voila, you are in your old installation again!

Nice to hear you are an architect in real life!
dearangelo
User

59 posts

Posted on 14 December 2014 @ 07:01edited 07:05 38s
Good morning, I have the old installation, complete, and have used the "Activate" option which is very useful for a conservative like me hahaha...
I did use the very same tablet to reboot to the previous disto and delete the 10.1.002 and re-install it, then step by step substituted the lines of the transmission *transmission file that I needed, and I found out that I had not created user "me" and so it could not start, ;cause I had changed (when subed) from transmission owner to "me" owner...I found my screw up going step by step ..anyways, now is up and working and I still have the old installation complete...
See In the beginning I started by setting up a blank system only to see how it works... and I have fiddled with all that in the past (ver 9) and then I moved on to use it...

Thank you for all the hgelp, and lets hope I will not have any more problems with the controllers...
btw, have you changed anything in the new versions so you have taken care of them?

an unemployed with two kids, that is teaching himself all sort of things...I recently became interested in Arduino programming
I agree with you, internet is a wonderful thing, you can teach yourself things!!!!!
*graduated from Kansas State University in '89
dearangelo
User

59 posts

Posted on 14 December 2014 @ 09:38
http://prntscr.com/5gn21c
dearangelo
User

59 posts

Posted on 14 December 2014 @ 17:34
it is doing it again...
http://i.imgur.com/XYIZxj2.png
so is it pssinple to have controller problems suddenly? have you seen anything similar to this before?
is there anything in the log that would tell what is happening and it rejects the drive while online?
dearangelo
User

59 posts

Posted on 15 December 2014 @ 06:27
Good Day, supposedly I have two installations on a drive, anmd I want to access the files like \etc\hosts from the one that is not running at the time, is it possible?

regards
angelo e
Next Page »

Valid XHTML 1.1