Latest interface: 0.3.1
Latest system: 010
kimblo
User

7 posts

Posted on 21 January 2014 @ 14:47
Hello,

I've been using zfsguru on and off since a couple of years now, and I like it and I am very happy that jason have made it available for this "community", to use his own creation.
Thank you, Jason.

I'm not however very fond with how users have to install it.
The year is 2014 which I bet everyone here is aware of, so the question is:
Why do http://zfsguru.com/doc/quick still refer to using a CD as the main installation medium?

Two MAJOR open source/free software projects (pfSense and NAS4Free) are based on FreeBSD and they both offer the option to install from USB.

I've put myself in the position that I don't have access at home to anything related to the CD/DVD area and that have worked pretty well since -07 or -08, except from a couple of cases, one which is related to installing zfsguru.
I bet this will hurt in some eyes that I, a simple end user complains about something which I'm not even contributing to myself. But let's face it, this community is growing and thus the demands will actually change.

CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 21 January 2014 @ 14:59
Hi Kimblo,

You are right; installing using USB should be easier.

But you can already install from USB. You can boot ZFSguru inside a Virtualbox machine and pass your USB-stick to the virtual machine by clicking on the USB icon and selecting the USB stick. Then ZFSguru should 'see' the USB stick as normal harddrive. Install ZFSguru on that drive as you would normally do. Now exit the Virtual Machine and cleanly detach the USB stick. Now you have a bootable ZFSguru USB stick which can be used to perform another installation. You can download whatever image you like and install that using the web-interface.

I don't use any optical drives myself either. But i did buy the Zalman VE-300 external notebook-harddrive enclosure. You insert a 1TB 5400rpm notebook drive for cheap and have a nice mobile/backup storage solution. But it can also emulate cd/dvd/bluray and use files stored on FAT32/NTFS filesystem in the _iso folder. Put your .iso files there and you can select it and boot from it. I use it for memtest, Ubuntu, ZFSguru and things like SSD firmware. It works very well for me. It will make sure you never have to deal with CD/DVD/BluRay physical things ever again. :)

- CiPHER
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 21 January 2014 @ 15:00
This is a picture of the Zalman VE-300 by the way:

broken image

It is a USB 3.0 external enclosure, without harddrive which you buy separately.
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 21 January 2014 @ 15:02
Another picture:

broken image

I love this cool gadget :D

And no i dont get money for selling them.. :P
kimblo
User

7 posts

Posted on 21 January 2014 @ 15:15
Hello dev.

I do appreciate that you're taking your time to answer me, I do.
But dude, easy is not done by installing a VM software first, then booting and installing zfsguru to the USB stick that I've passed through to the VM.
And buying additional hardware aint something done in 5 min either.
Even though that hardware looks cool an all, but still, it's 2014 now... =)

CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 21 January 2014 @ 15:26edited 15:27 15s
I know but currently that's all ZFSguru has. It is still in development, the true Embedded distribution designed for USB sticks and flash media, is not yet working.

In the future we want ZFSguru to be installable using Universal USB installer:
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

broken image

Until that time, you have several options:
- install to USB stick using Virtualbox
- install on different system then put the harddrive/USB stick in the target system
- buy Zalman VE-300 and use that to boot .iso
- borrow CD/DVD-RW drive from a friend
andrewjoy
User

14 posts

Posted on 24 December 2014 @ 01:17
Just a heads up , i had major problems with the method of installing via USB ( VM , mount USB and so on....) install would hang at the last point, if i manually made the disk bootable it would work but no services would start and i could not enable L2ARC.

Went out and got myself an external DVD drive and all is well now :) ( i need the drive anyway to backup my 100 or so DVDs to the server).

That HDD that can emulate a CD drive looks cool, i wonder if there is a USB 3 version that way i could buy an SSD for fast install times :) firewire would be nice too ( i do a load of work with pre USB 3 macs )
Qui
User

55 posts

Posted on 24 December 2014 @ 01:25
According to Ciphers post about it, it seems to be USB 3.0.

"t is a USB 3.0 external enclosure, without harddrive which you buy separately."
Robbo
User

2 posts

Posted on 29 January 2015 @ 12:44
What about unpacking the .iso onto an USB stick and setting USB as bootable in the bios ?
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 21 March 2015 @ 21:33
I have some early news, to be announced soon by Jason: creating a USB stick now works. Including with EFI boot which is awesome. Soon, you will be able to create your own ZFSguru USB stick using a small Windows program that writes the USB image to your USB stick. Quick and painless.

Probably it will be available at around the time the new version (0.3) is released.
RobinM
User

18 posts

Posted on 22 March 2015 @ 22:14
Thats great news! looking forward to that :)
marcellus
User

38 posts

Posted on 26 March 2015 @ 13:09
Hey CiPHER that drive is just what I was looking for, I just ordered one. The option to use multiple ISO's is like having a collection of real DVD's and CD's in just one small package. GREAT! Thanks for the tip.
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 26 March 2015 @ 13:43edited 27 August 2015 @ 19:57
Yes i'm very pleased with it.

Edit: with ODD i mean Optical Disk Drive - like CD/DVD/BluRay.

Just know some minor limitations apply:
- the ODD-emulator will only accept FAT32 or NTFS filesystems, on a MBR-partition scheme. GPT not supported!
- the ODD-emulator sometimes cannot read a .iso if the filesystem is heavily fragmented. In this case, free some space and write the .iso again
- i had some problems with Linux writing to the NTFS filesystem, where the ODD-emulator did not accept the .iso image.
- you need a USB port capable of delivering enough power to spinup a harddrive. Your regular USB ports from the motherboard should be good; but some USB hubs and such might not be suitable. This applies to basically every external harddrive solution that draws its power from the USB port.

But that is really all and it works just great in everyday usage. I'm very pleased with it as i never have to burn a CD again and .iso's are still very universal. I have Ubuntu Linux, Memtest86+, diagnostics and of course ZFSguru on there. Definitely pleased with my purchase.
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 27 August 2015 @ 19:58
And now the year is 2015, we can install from USB. Hurray! :)
beh
User

5 posts

Posted on 27 August 2015 @ 20:35
From and to a USB drive!
downloadski
User

17 posts

Posted on 20 December 2015 @ 19:39
It worked great for me, efi boot indeed.
Last Page

Valid XHTML 1.1