Latest interface: 0.3.1
Latest system: 010
karmantyu
User

157 posts

Posted on 26 March 2018 @ 20:18
Here I would like to encourage you to say some kind words about this great ZFSguru project.

Since this site and with it the community using this nifty interface goes down in the abyss - let me say a sincere THANKS for the contributors of this project JASON and CiPHER.

So long and thanks for all the fish guys!
dearangelo2
User

39 posts

Posted on 27 March 2018 @ 06:06
Only kind words!!!
however, some question
- should one stay and paddle along with an outdated but working platform that virtually has no way of re-installing should something go wrong with the services?
should one move to a new direction and to another platform?
- is it possible for one to find and install the packages and the core in a new machine?
- does the solution of building up a system from an older cd image and varius sites, has any merrit?
- If I am not mistaken, I have seem attempts of upgrading to later versions of the BSD platform, how well does this all work?

Any words of wisdom Mr. Karmantyu?

have a good day
karmantyu
User

157 posts

Posted on 28 March 2018 @ 19:09
Dear dearangelo2,

Yes I think the community here should pay respect to the creators at last. Especially for the work done by them for free.

Yes if you like the ZFSguru interface you can use it with the current and stable FreeBSD systems. All the necessary information is posted in the relevant topics.

Every service provided in the ZFSguru distribution is available for deployment through the pkg management system in FreeBSD. Of course you will miss the GUI in the ZFSguru interface but the services are functioning seamless on this fine UNIX operating system.

dearangelo2
User

39 posts

Posted on 29 March 2018 @ 06:08edited 06:15 33s
Dear karmantyu,

the whole apparatus was a wonderful gift when I had no financial means for more hardware oriented solutions and I needed to protect my data.
Perhaps I should say that It was after I had lost a lot of data by using that expensive lacie 6TB, piece of crap... that worthless fancy piece of junk crushed on me and had to pay more to recover some data...anyways

I hope that them, Cipher and Jason Guys are well and nothing is wrong with their health and all.

Yes I like it so much that I will have to experiment in setting up a new apparatus on a single drive to see how all this can be done, using/ fetching pkg's directly.

Also, what is the alternative of a GUI? or it would have to be thru shh only? can't the 3.1 web interface be used?

Am I correct if I say that there are instructions on how to implement web 3.1 step by step?

dearangelo2
User

39 posts

Posted on 11 April 2018 @ 07:32
Dear karmantyu,
my system is version 10.1-RC and a web interface 0.3.1
it is a small home server that I use, with one pool of total capacity of 10TB.
I see some people have managed to update to a newer version somehow.
Could you please direct me to a posting that would help me out in update or even installing a new version thru Freebsd? and use the same 0.3.1 web interface on top of it?
Someone else in here spoke of a vanilla (?) interface?
Is there another alternative to get tha services now that Alpha nd Bravo servers are not hosting the newer versions anymore?
thank toy for your time
regards
karmantyu
User

157 posts

Posted on 11 April 2018 @ 20:28
Dear dearangelo2,

The post about how to upgrade your server to vanilla FreeBSD is here.
Vanilla means not modified, core FreeBSD distribution.
http://zfsguru.com/forum/zfsgurusupport/1166

You should use the GENERIC kernel method.
If may upgrade your server first to SAMBA 4 like this.
http://zfsguru.com/forum/zfsgurusupport/1149

I hope you have a separate pool and enough place for the OS.
There is no guarantee you can use the services interfaces in the ZFSguru GUI, but all services are available as packages in the FreeBSD repo.

If there is any question please ask for help in the support section.
Last Page

Valid XHTML 1.1