Latest interface: 0.3.1
Latest system: 010
DVD_Chef
User

129 posts

Posted on 25 September 2017 @ 21:45
At this point with no response from CiPHER on any issues, the services not working, and no system updates posted, is this project now dead?

I am in the process of converting all my instances to vanilla FreeBSD so can upgrade and get updates to ports and packages. We will see how much of the web interface this breaks, and whether I will need to just dump it.

It was a nice idea, and had some benefits over the other options out there, so am sad to see it go.
stoe
User

9 posts

Posted on 27 September 2017 @ 21:20
I'm afraid you're so right... I just hope CiPHER is ok.
May I ask you a favour? Could you post here some hints as to how you proceed to switch to vanilla FreeBSD while retaining all your data? I've thought about it as well and might be grateful for a helping hand once in a while with exporting, updating, importing etc.
Almost like a collective funeral...

Greets from Switzerland
stoe
DVD_Chef
User

129 posts

Posted on 27 September 2017 @ 23:02
This depends on if you want to keep using the interface and the services. My current ZFSGuru systems are basically storage only, so I do not have any services to worry about "breaking". One of the systems had separate boot and data pools so I was able to just export the data pool. I then replaced the boot drives with ones containing a new install of FreeBSD and imported the data pool. This one now has no web interface, and I administer it over ssh like any other FreeBSD system.
DVD_Chef
User

129 posts

Posted on 27 September 2017 @ 23:05
If you do not want to loose the web interface, you can try to just update the existing system as discussed in this post by karmantyu.

http://zfsguru.com/forum/zfsgurusupport/1149
alex01
User

2 posts

Posted on 28 September 2017 @ 13:17edited 13:19 14s
Yeah, I guess I'll try and migrate to freenas eventually if I get the time.
Will update the Plex migration post if I figure out how to migrate my plex DB.
Or any other migration problems :o)
DVD_Chef
User

129 posts

Posted on 28 September 2017 @ 17:53
There is a section in the documents are of the site discussing using FreeBSD and manually installing the ZFSGuru parts, but it appears to be out of date with the current FreeBSD versions.

http://zfsguru.com/doc/bsd

The tar archive of the web interface bits can still be downloaded, but the link has to be changed to the alpha server in order for it to work.

http://alpha.zfsguru.com/interface/ZFSguru-0.3.1-webinterface.txz
stoe
User

9 posts

Posted on 29 September 2017 @ 10:24
Thank you, DVD_Chef. Hope it's gonna work out fine.
Cheers
karmantyu
User

132 posts

Posted on 29 September 2017 @ 11:43
Keep up the good work describing the smooth transfer towards FreeBSD. The ideal solution would be opening the source of the ZFSGuru project and see if somebody is interested to continue the project opensource.
I hope only this forum stays up for the time till everybody converts to maintained projects.
DVD_Chef
User

129 posts

Posted on 29 September 2017 @ 19:28
as stoe said, I also hope CiPHER is ok and his absence is not something serious. As I mentioned earlier I never used any of the more advanced features such as services, the graphical desktop, or ran VM's so my transition is a bit easier.
Hakker
User

77 posts

Posted on 5 October 2017 @ 16:49edited 16:58 51s
Same here I don't use much but I really do link the webinterface for creating pools/general maintenance and it's samba and NFS options.
I would really like to see that remained somehow with updated builds. I could care less about the services. The simplicity is what attracted me to it and how the samba shares are implemented in the 0.3 interface is really just awesome.
arr bee
User

4 posts

Posted on 6 October 2017 @ 11:52
well that is very sad. :(
I originally evaluated ZFSguru a few years back when building a NAS for the 1st time.
I loved the interface and simplicity but ended up going for Nappit on Sol11 becuase of perceived benefits of the kernel level implementation of CIFS and ZFS.

Turns out I am not really stressing my NAS and I've started wondering about migrating to the simplicity of ZFSguru.

I hope something becomes of the project.
stoe
User

9 posts

Posted on 12 December 2017 @ 23:33
Just wanted to let you know I've recently switched to Nas4Free. Worked perfectly after I've found out that importing pools is called syncronisation in Nas4Free...
Goodbye ZFSGuru, had a good time with you and I wish you all the best.
Cheers.
DVD_Chef
User

129 posts

Posted on 14 December 2017 @ 00:19
I think ZFSGuru supported more services natively than Nas4Free did, as it was morphing into a more general purpose server than just "Network Attached Storage".

Glad to see your pools imported successfully though.
stoe
User

9 posts

Posted on 14 December 2017 @ 17:17
DVD_Chef, you're possibly right.
But to be honest, extras & add-ons as discussed on https://www.nas4free.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=71 are more than enough for me ;-) Looks as if Nas4Free is turning towards multi purpose as well.
I'm quite positive things are gonna be good again. Would have loved to stick with ZFSGuru, but I'm happy with this plan B now.
Cheers
Last Page

Valid XHTML 1.1