User

60 posts

Posted on 15 January 2015 @ 21:38
??
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 17 January 2015 @ 23:57
Quoting start post, take note that special characters are broken on this forum.
dreh23 wrote: Hello,
I'm working for a visual effects company and I'm designing our new file server although we are planning to use zfs on linux. I would kindly ask your advice or suggestions on our setup.

Task:
-----
Replacing our Fedora 24 bay sata system with something that has more punch. Currently we use a 4 x 10GB Bond in a HP switch and a Hardware Raid + xfs.

Requirements:
-------------
- 50 TB usable space
- saturating 1GB Ethernet for file transfer to at least 10 -15 workstations simultaneously via SMB (~ 115MB/s) - image sequences of files normally around 5-20 MB each.
- keep it simple: No cluster file system, 1 Machine and 1 Storage Domain Space, No active fail over we can live with some downtime - backups are rsynced to a backup system

Problems in the past:
---------------------
- Fedora
- Machines IO would max out at 4 streams although we never quite nailed it down who's fault it was. I suspect Hardware raid and old samba version that wouldn't scale properly.
- When 16 Render Nodes where doing constantly small r/w operations we could easily bring the machine to its IO max.

New Setup
---------
Hardware:
Dual Xeon XXX
Super Micro 24 bay enclosure
> 256 GB RAM
4 x 10GB
MegaRAID SAS 9361-8i
24 x 4GB SATA 7200/24-7 disks
1 x System disk

Raid Setup:
6 Vdevs a 4 Disks Raid 1+0 = 48TB

ZIL:
2x OCZ RevoDrive 350 PCIe SSD 240 GB mirrored

L2ARC:
2x OCZ RevoDrive 350 PCIe SSD 960 GB striped

Software:
Ubuntu 14.04
Zfsonlinux
Sernet Samba 4

Questions:
----------
I would like to have your opinion on following Questions:

1. Is this Raid Setup "OK"
2. Do I need Hot Spares if this is not critical - Server Room is 2 doors away to swap disks if failing - we would need to have some good drives laying around of course.
3. Is the Revodrive a good idea as ZIL/L2ARc
4. Do I really need to through so much hardware on cache if I'm planing to have plenty of Ram
5. Good proven alternatives on Hardware setup especially ZIL/L2ARC
6. Do you think I can fulfill my requirements with this setup
7. Which Xeons are suitable - other than ZFS compression and file services nothing else will be running on this machine

I would love to hear your opinion.
Thank you
Joe

downloadski
User

17 posts

Posted on 16 July 2015 @ 13:54
I only have 10 disk raid z-2 experience, but that delivers on average 828 MiB/second with whole pool copy on my systems.
This are then 8 disc that deliver the data.

If i understand raid 1 + 0 with 4 disks enough you have 2 mirrors of 2 discs.
If you put this in a vdev and make 5 of these more, you get max the performance of 12 disc.
That would be 1.5 times the read spead i see i assume, so 1244 MiB/sec

Doubtfull that you would be able to deliver large video files to 10-15 clients at 115 MB/sec sustained from the spinning discs.
Cache is nice if these clients access the same videoclips, but i am not sure the arc or the l2 arc hold 5-20 MB of data files completely in cache.

But no experience with soo many clients do video at gigabit line rate, i only have 2 cliients doing up to 54 mbps..
bitmap
User

26 posts

Posted on 25 August 2015 @ 02:59
You didn't mention the SuperMicro backplane in the chassis, or how it connects to the HBA, but a quick look at their site would appear that to get 24 ports into the 8 port HBA would probably use a SAS-846EL or SAS2-846EL, and while I'm not familiar with this specific gear, it is likely that the SAS expander would only really offer 4 ports bandwidth over a single SFF-8087/Mini-SAS cable for single-ported SATA disks. As well, some SAS expanders may offer reduced performance when handling SATA disks.

If you haven't already purchased this, you might look to use a pass-through backplane like SAS-846TQ with 24 individual ports, and split onto two separate 12-port, or three 8-port HBAs. If there are not enough PCIe slots (lots of SSD and ethernet), you might omit two of the 10G ports, as even with link bonding to the switch, I can't see you'd be able to saturate two links, much less four, from only 10-15 clients.
lihuqum
User

2 posts

Posted on 1 August 2018 @ 08:58edited 08:59 52s
Designers of media servers use latest featured made tools in their works and get rid from various kinds of problems. Buyers of essay works also like to use paper writing pro when they want to write essays on required topics.
Last Page

Valid XHTML 1.1