Latest interface: 0.3.1
Latest system: 010
burnin
User

3 posts

Posted on 23 January 2014 @ 15:34
Hi Jason I was wondering why you feel Motherboard onboard SATA to be superior to an add in card? Would I be correct in assuming it is due to better driver support, or is there some other reason.

The following quote of yours comes from this thread http://zfsguru.com/forum/buildingyourownzfsserver/21.1

"Motherboard onboard SATA
Modern motherboards have onboard SATA ports. These are supplied by the chipset and should be regarded as the best possible SATA ports when doing software RAID like with ZFS."

Toasty
User

2 posts

Posted on 16 February 2014 @ 14:51
If I remember right, it's because add-in cards can interfere with ZFS's check-summing and error recovery operations. Setting up ZFS on a hardware RAID array is a bad idea because the add-in card will attempt to handle the errors instead of letting ZFS take care of it. Usually not a problem if you configure the card to use JBOD, though.

However, people have had problems with drivers on some cards, and other cards simply don't implement some AHCI functions properly. To my knowledge, this has never been a problem with Intel and AMD supplied southbridges.
Last Page

Valid XHTML 1.1