Latest interface: 0.3.1
Latest system: 010
Mezz0
User

3 posts

Posted on 13 August 2013 @ 08:14
I just installed ZFSguru on my new nas and it has 2 gbit nic's. Also I have 1 esxi server with 2 gbit nic's.

I connected it all with iscsi and got it working with 1 gbit nic. Now it got me thinking to connect the second nic with a crosscable.. or.. do I have to connect it on ny gbit switch? (old 3com switch).

please your advise
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 13 August 2013 @ 10:32
You can use link aggregation (lagg) to get a higher performance network connection. Is that what you want? What do you want to use the second NIC for? If you just want an extra connection without lagg or other stuff, you have to configure it in the /etc/rc.conf file

Just edit the file:
ee /etc/rc.conf

and look for the ifconfig_re0="inet 10.0.0.100 netmask 255.255.255.0" line. You should create one of this line and edit the name of the adapter (re0 -> bge0 or whatever its name is) and assign a static IP yourself.

Be careful editing the rc.conf file. If you make mistakes like forget a " then it is possible you cannot boot any longer!
Mezz0
User

3 posts

Posted on 14 August 2013 @ 01:51edited 05:46 02s
I already found what i'm looking for and it was to easy :|

I'm going to connect the esxi server direct with the nas and change the iscsi target to the second nic ip. Now iSCSI will only use that nic for iscsi traffic.

My other nic will be used for management and normal traffic.

I still have to config it but Im curious if it will give some networkboost because it is seperated.

and instead of editing the cfg file I ran ifconfig to add a static ip
aaront
User

75 posts

Posted on 7 February 2014 @ 15:02
Mezz0, My storage also has dual nics and I came to basically the same conclusion: 1 nic for smb/management/whatever on the normal lan. The second nic gets an address on my vlan for san traffic (nfs shares to esxi).

It works great. Trying to multipath san traffic is messy anyway and now that my new server has 10G-BaseT I'll be super happy with just the one nic for the san.
Last Page

Valid XHTML 1.1