Latest interface: 0.3.1
Latest system: 010
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 17 July 2012 @ 10:36
For those running ESXi, i came across this URL: http://ogris.de/vmware/

As of May 2012, VMware Tools that come with ESXi 5 don't work on FreeBSD 9. I found this article in which Jared Barneck reports that he just had to recompile vmmemctl and vmblock. The source code for both of these modules (and vmxnet/vmxnet3 as well) is included in vmware-freebsd-tools.tar.gz. However, you can compile neither vmxnet nor vmxnet3 without some minor modifications. I don't know if you need the sourcecode to compile this stuff. But looks cool to have a VMXNET3 driver for ESXi. This would be a great for those running ESXi to virtualize ZFSguru.

But... i am not sure about license restrictions. Probably you guys need to compile yourself. But i'm hoping we can create a working good how-to document. I am sure many people are waiting on this, at least some on the Dutch Tweakers.net forum where i dwell. :P
Pantagruel
User

45 posts

Posted on 17 July 2012 @ 15:39
This is definitely of help, this opens up the door to a VMXNET 10Gbit VM (ZFSguru) to VM (e.g. win2k8 R2/Linux) interconnect and have the latter use Infiniband to re-share the ZFSguru ZFS pool. Currently FreeBSD does precious little with IB and support for VMXNET3 would provide a way around this.

The patch and recompile info looks pretty straight forward.
The_Dave
User

221 posts

Posted on 23 July 2012 @ 11:03
Good news indeed!
CiPHER
Developer

1199 posts

Posted on 23 July 2012 @ 15:31
It looks like it needs FreeBSD compiled with CLANG. After i create my next LiveCD i will look at a CLANG enabled kernel. Then you guys can try compiling those modules and see it they work.

Next week is a safe estimate i hope. :)
topaco
User

2 posts

Posted on 20 July 2018 @ 16:14
The security of the man and his family is priority of the agency. The struggle of the uk best essays is done for the ensured and past items for the humans.
Last Page

Valid XHTML 1.1