Latest interface: 0.3.1
Latest system: 010
xerxes9000sx
User

1 posts

Posted on 10 November 2011 @ 14:55
I've read what RAID-Z3 need powerful system, want to know if my system can handle with it.
I have AMD770 chipset mainboard with 16gb ram and 4-core 3.0Ghz amd processor.
I plan to create storage from 24 2tb drives, attached via Sil3132 and Sil3114 plus 6 internal on mainboard.
Currently i have 8 drives(different size 200gb-2tb) not in any raid or mirror, they work under UFS.
The_Dave
User

221 posts

Posted on 10 November 2011 @ 21:33
Yes, you will be fine.
Jason
Developer

806 posts

Posted on 11 November 2011 @ 00:27
16GiB RAM and quadcore is fine, of course. But your Silicon Image controllers are not and will limit performance considerably. The SiI3114 is a PCI controller and has some bad bugs as well.

I highly recommend you to invest in a good controller, for example two times IBM M1015 flashed with IT-mode firmware. That is a PCI-express 2.0 x8 controller and connects 8 normal SATA disks using 2 Mini-SAS cables (which each split into 4 SATA connectors). The cables often have to purchased separately. With two of these controllers, you have 16 devices to be connected. With your motherboard ports that would make 22. Still 2 short I guess? You could use your SiI-3132 controller for that, PCI-express 1.0 x1 (250MB/s), but it would limit performance of the whole pool. ZFS is quite sensitive to that.

My recommendation:

1) use 3 controllers so all 24 disks can be on SAS controllers, leaving your motherboard SATA free for SSDs either now or in the future.

2) use 2 controllers but create two RAID-Z2 instead of one big RAID-Z3, which is not really recommended anyway! A 10-disk RAID-Z2 is also optimal for 4K sector disks which many 2TB disks are.

I do have to note that currently harddrives are excessively expensive due to the Thailand floods. Perhaps you could start with one RAID-Z2 of 10 disks and add another RAID-Z2 of 10 disks later? That also means you only need one controller, for now.
micheal778
User

7 posts

Posted on 11 May 2018 @ 09:30
I likewise want to enhance stopping controls. You shared here good thing. Thusly individuals looking this sort of blob and take an interest the talk since they adore it and meet with professional coursework writer who are offering well task. Along these lines they got numerous data from it which they didn't know previously.
Last Page

Valid XHTML 1.1